BillC

Default Roof shingles question

Hi,
We had a lot of wind a couple days ago and I came through pretty well. I
didn't have any shingles ripped off or broken, but I do have 3 places where
the bottom row of (standard asphalt) shingles are bowed up about 1/2 inch
and are loci for wind to get in and do its work in the future.

What should I do to eliminate these "up bowed" spots? They won't just
flatten back down by tapping on them. Nail? Cement? or what?

Thanks

RicodJour

BillC wrote:
Hi,
We had a lot of wind a couple days ago and I came through pretty

well. I
didn't have any shingles ripped off or broken, but I do have 3 places

where
the bottom row of (standard asphalt) shingles are bowed up about 1/2

inch
and are loci for wind to get in and do its work in the future.

What should I do to eliminate these "up bowed" spots? They won't just

flatten back down by tapping on them. Nail? Cement? or what?

The sun and gravity should bring them down on their own. You can put a
dab of roofing cement under each tab for extra insurance.

When you see things like that it's usually the guy who did the roofing
saved himself about 15 minutes on the whole roof. The tabs are
supposed to be cut off of the very first course of shingles at the
eaves. That places the adhesive on the top of the shingle at the
bottom edge of the roof to glue down the lower edge of each tab on the
first exposed course of shingles.

If that fifteen minutes would've killed him, he could've bought a roll
of the starter strip that serves the same function.

Fred

"BillC" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hi,
We had a lot of wind a couple days ago and I came through pretty well. I
didn't have any shingles ripped off or broken, but I do have 3 places
where the bottom row of (standard asphalt) shingles are bowed up about 1/2
inch and are loci for wind to get in and do its work in the future.

What should I do to eliminate these "up bowed" spots? They won't just
flatten back down by tapping on them. Nail? Cement? or what?

Thanks

A few hot days should flatten it.

Goedjn

Hi,
We had a lot of wind a couple days ago and I came through pretty well. I
didn't have any shingles ripped off or broken, but I do have 3 places where
the bottom row of (standard asphalt) shingles are bowed up about 1/2 inch
and are loci for wind to get in and do its work in the future.

What should I do to eliminate these "up bowed" spots? They won't just
flatten back down by tapping on them. Nail? Cement? or what?

Heat them with a blow-drayer until they relax.

Will squirting a dot of glue under the bottom edge of the
tab keep them down, or will that just tear the granules off
the shingle underneath?

Roof Question Spanannie Home Ownership 11 April 18th 05 04:14 AM
advice on replacing roof shingles ? Dave Home Ownership 3 April 9th 05 03:08 AM
Roof question Keith Home Repair 6 December 12th 04 05:11 PM
Brick Roof flashing question Art Home Repair 1 April 23rd 04 12:58 AM
New roof - shingles, underneath wood, and extra insulation? Walter Cohen Home Repair 4 March 14th 04 01:19 PM