Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Spanannie

Default Roof Question

We were hit pretty hard 2 weeks ago in a bad rain/hail storm. 8 windows
were broken, gutters damaged, western and southern slopes of roof
"damaged". Evidentally some of the granules on those parts of the roof
are missing. Our house is one year old today, is it really necessary to
replace the entire roof? Farmers says that they will only pay for the
part that was damaged. Most roofers around here say that they will only
do a complete roof. We really don't know what the truth is. Any
insight will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Annie

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 00:58:28 GMT, in misc.consumers.house Spanannie
wrote:

We were hit pretty hard 2 weeks ago in a bad rain/hail storm. 8 windows
were broken, gutters damaged, western and southern slopes of roof
"damaged". Evidentally some of the granules on those parts of the roof
are missing. Our house is one year old today, is it really necessary to
replace the entire roof? Farmers says that they will only pay for the
part that was damaged. Most roofers around here say that they will only
do a complete roof. We really don't know what the truth is. Any
insight will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Annie

Oh yeah we know that story. I small section of vinyl was damaged in our kitchen
and all the flooring stores say they will only replace ALL the vinyl in the
kitchen, dining room and bathroom. Sounds like roofer in your area are a bunch
of rip off artists.. We are going to replace the damaged vinyl ourself.
Al Bundy

If your total job is big enough you might contact an insurance adjuster
to work for you interest. You too might succeed if you keep pushing.
But really, if the damage is only on one side there is no reason to
replace the whole roof because some of the contractors are resisting
the job. Someone will quote that work. They may have to charge extra
for the fact that they have to set up for a smaller job, but less than
a full roof charge. In my area the insurance company will suggest a
company that can do the work.
PS. Roofing is one job that is quite variable. Pricing can vary by 50%
for the same work. You really have to shop and network with friends to
get a good result.

Spanannie

We can't find anyone who wants to do a partial roof. It is a big enough
job (2/3 of the roof on our 4000 sq ft home); it's just that they know
that insurance is involved and they want to push homeowners to get a new
roof, since they know they can push the homeowners to get the insurance
to pay for it. Farmers is one insurance company that will only pay for
a partial roof. The roofers want us to fight Farmers on it. We don't
know who's right: Farmers or the roofers.

The roofers have the attitude that this is a free roof for us. That is
not the case: 1) our deductible is $6200 2) we just built this home 1
yr ago.

Annie
Al Bundy wrote:
If your total job is big enough you might contact an insurance adjuster
to work for you interest. You too might succeed if you keep pushing.
But really, if the damage is only on one side there is no reason to
replace the whole roof because some of the contractors are resisting
the job. Someone will quote that work. They may have to charge extra
for the fact that they have to set up for a smaller job, but less than
a full roof charge. In my area the insurance company will suggest a
company that can do the work.
PS. Roofing is one job that is quite variable. Pricing can vary by 50%
for the same work. You really have to shop and network with friends to
get a good result.

adam

"Spanannie"wrote
We can't find anyone who wants to do a partial roof. It is a big enough
job (2/3 of the roof on our 4000 sq ft home); it's just that they know
that insurance is involved and they want to push homeowners to get a new
roof, since they know they can push the homeowners to get the insurance
to pay for it. Farmers is one insurance company that will only pay for
a partial roof. The roofers want us to fight Farmers on it. We don't
know who's right: Farmers or the roofers.

The roofers have the attitude that this is a free roof for us. That is
not the case: 1) our deductible is $6200 2) we just built this home 1
yr ago.

Hog wash, any reputable roofing company does repairs, so a partial job can
be a big job compared to a few damaged tiles.

If the job is a $5k job as a partial, it's your problem that you have such a
high deductible.

I smell a con job, and it's probably you wanting to push the price up so you
feel like you're getting your moneys worth out of the insurance company.

Now go cry on someone else's shoulder for having such a high deductible,
people like you make me sick.

Spanannie

Huh?
I don't think that was called for.

We only want a partial fix. It's the different roofers that keep saying
our house needs a full roof.

In fact, my husband didn't even want to fix the roof, but when the
insurance adjustor came over to check out our 8 broken windows, she said
the roof must be repaired.

adam wrote:
"Spanannie"wrote

[...]

adam

"Spanannie" wrote
Huh?
I don't think that was called for.

We only want a partial fix. It's the different roofers that keep saying
our house needs a full roof.

In fact, my husband didn't even want to fix the roof, but when the
insurance adjustor came over to check out our 8 broken windows, she said
the roof must be repaired.

Look lady, it's like this. No one on Usenet can tell if you need an entire
roof or not, so quit harping on the subject.

Take it to: alt.sob.storytime

John

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 23:13:40 GMT, "adam" wrote:

"Spanannie" wrote
Huh?
I don't think that was called for.

We only want a partial fix. It's the different roofers that keep saying
our house needs a full roof.

In fact, my husband didn't even want to fix the roof, but when the
insurance adjustor came over to check out our 8 broken windows, she said
the roof must be repaired.

Look lady, it's like this. No one on Usenet can tell if you need an entire
roof or not, so quit harping on the subject.

Take it to: alt.sob.storytime

Spanannie,
"Adam" is just a troll, ie: someone without a life who tries to get a
rise out of others for attention sake. Just ignore his posts
completely.

As for your roof, I'd call every roofer in the phone book if
necessary. Could be that roofers are too busy (I assume lots of
roofs were damaged) to mess with a partial re-roof. You might just
need to wait a while. Meanwhile you could ask Farmers to find you a
roofer who will do a partial since they won't pay for a full. If
they can't, maybe they'll cough up for the full roof. Without seeing
the roof, I can't tell for sure why roofers wouldn't want to do just a
partial.

Good luck,
John

Al Bundy

Spanannie wrote:
Huh?
I don't think that was called for.

We only want a partial fix. It's the different roofers that keep

saying
our house needs a full roof.

In fact, my husband didn't even want to fix the roof, but when the
insurance adjustor came over to check out our 8 broken windows, she

said
the roof must be repaired.

adam wrote:
"Spanannie"wrote

[...]

I don't know what mortgage company would allow a deductible of $6,200
as their interests would not be properly protected. So you guys must be
pretty well off. Anyway, with that deductible you elected to become
self insured at this level of damage. Therefore, you are the insurance
company in this case and can elect to do the whole roof if you desire.
I tend to side with your husband in not even doing it if it's not that
bad and it took the insurance company to tell you it was needed. Maybe
a repair would take care of the worst damage. I've done lots of those
myself and it ain't too hard to accomplish.
You have not tried hard enough to find contractors for this work. Many
are out there. One avenue is to go to Home Depot or Lowes or some other
company that sells roofing supplies and ask them for a recommendation.
Some of them even have their own installers.

adam

"John" wrote

As for your roof, I'd call every roofer in the phone book if
necessary. Could be that roofers are too busy (I assume lots of
roofs were damaged) to mess with a partial re-roof. You might just
need to wait a while. Meanwhile you could ask Farmers to find you a
roofer who will do a partial since they won't pay for a full. If
they can't, maybe they'll cough up for the full roof.

You moron, why are you implying they will pay for any of the roof?
Knuckleheads like you give a poster false hope. Did you not see her
deductible is $6,500.00? Well bright one, exactly how much is it going to
cost?

Without seeing
the roof, I can't tell for sure why roofers wouldn't want to do just a
partial.

Isn't that what I said, no one on Usenet could tell her that? Good Grief,
you're the troll here!

John/Charleston

On 17 Apr 2005 05:46:02 -0700, "Al Bundy"
wrote:

Spanannie wrote:
Huh?
I don't think that was called for.

We only want a partial fix. It's the different roofers that keep

saying
our house needs a full roof.

In fact, my husband didn't even want to fix the roof, but when the
insurance adjustor came over to check out our 8 broken windows, she

said
the roof must be repaired.

adam wrote:
"Spanannie"wrote

[...]

Here in Charleston the insurance co's base wind and hail deductibles
on a percentage of the home's value. The percentage can range from 1
to 5% and it partially depends on where your home is located in
relation to water etc. A $150k home could have a deductible of
$7,500. Still the insurance companies can demand that you keep your
home in acceptable condition. They can make you repair your roof
even if they don't pay for it or they can cancel your policy.
My home is worth about 200k and I have a 5% deductible. I could get
a 1% deductible but it would cost me an extra $1500 annually. Hugo
was supposed to be a 100 year hurricane so I'm living with the 5% for
now.

Low Pitch - leaky roof bclee05 Home Repair 6 March 23rd 05 08:26 PM
Low-Slope Roof Repair Al Home Repair 13 February 15th 05 04:46 PM
tar-and-gravel roof - puddles etc. advice needed Steve Portigal Home Repair 6 November 23rd 04 09:40 PM
Spray in foam insulation + minimum roof slope? Albert Home Repair 13 November 9th 04 06:53 PM
Brick Roof flashing question Art Home Repair 1 April 23rd 04 12:58 AM