os2guy_in_kc

Default filling/sealing Granite countertops

Please accept my appology in advance if this has been cover recently.
I looked throught the archives and didn't really find the answer I was
looking for, so I'll ask the question and prepared to be yelled at if
it's a repeat.

I was recently fortunate enough to get, from the scrap pile of a local
granite counter manufacturer, enough granite to do all the counters in
my kitchen. I have learned how to shape, finish and polish the edges
to my satisfaction and I am even able to remove scratches from the
top and get almost back to the shine of the surrounding material, I
think I can match it with a little more polishing.

My question is what if anything would normally be used to fill the
small pits and natural surface defects in a granite counter to make it
easier to maintain. I saw a thread about Akemi filler and/or Aqua-Mix
Renew but I am looking for a bit more information before I jump on one
direction or the other. I have some stone enhancer sealer the the
local tile store recommends to seal the top, but if I need to worry
about the small pits in the surface I probably should fill before I
seal it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G Henslee

os2guy_in_kc wrote:

My question is what if anything would normally be used to fill the
small pits and natural surface defects in a granite counter to make it
easier to maintain. I saw a thread about Akemi filler and/or Aqua-Mix
Renew but I am looking for a bit more information before I jump on one
direction or the other.

The Akemi is the stuff. Fill before sealing, of course.
G Henslee

G Henslee wrote:
os2guy_in_kc wrote:

My question is what if anything would normally be used to fill the
small pits and natural surface defects in a granite counter to make it
easier to maintain. I saw a thread about Akemi filler and/or Aqua-Mix
Renew but I am looking for a bit more information before I jump on one
direction or the other.

The Akemi is the stuff. Fill before sealing, of course.

Application info: http://www.akemina.com/application.html
dadiOH

os2guy_in_kc wrote:

My question is what if anything would normally be used to fill the
small pits and natural surface defects in a granite counter to make it
easier to maintain.

Any polyester or epoxy resin. You may have to sand it flush but since
you've figured out how to polish your granite it will be duck soup.

Can't say for sure because I've used neither in a long while but I
suspect the polyester may wind up harder and therefore easier to
sand/polish.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

os2guy_in_kc

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:15:27 GMT, "dadiOH" wrote:

os2guy_in_kc wrote:

My question is what if anything would normally be used to fill the
small pits and natural surface defects in a granite counter to make it
easier to maintain.

Any polyester or epoxy resin. You may have to sand it flush but since
you've figured out how to polish your granite it will be duck soup.

Can't say for sure because I've used neither in a long while but I
suspect the polyester may wind up harder and therefore easier to
sand/polish.

Thanks for the input. I was wondering if maybe some marine epoxy
might do the trick. I think some of that stuff started as concrete
sealer. It looks like I have a couple of phone calls to make on
Monday to get some stuff ordered and then it will be one more thing
off the list. And to think that I was going to do formica or
something. Thanks again.

Charles Spitzer

os2guy_in_kc wrote:

My question is what if anything would normally be used to fill the
small pits and natural surface defects in a granite counter to make it
easier to maintain.

Any polyester or epoxy resin. You may have to sand it flush but since
you've figured out how to polish your granite it will be duck soup.

Can't say for sure because I've used neither in a long while but I
suspect the polyester may wind up harder and therefore easier to
sand/polish.

Thanks for the input. I was wondering if maybe some marine epoxy
might do the trick. I think some of that stuff started as concrete
sealer. It looks like I have a couple of phone calls to make on
Monday to get some stuff ordered and then it will be one more thing
off the list. And to think that I was going to do formica or
something. Thanks again.

you don't. it's a natural material. anything you put on is going to be a
headache. you won't be able to sand it down without marring the granite
polished surface, and repolishing that will be a pain and expensive to boot.

News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups