Doug Kanter

Default Cleaning Electric Motors

I have a through-the-wall kitchen fan, and the previous owner of this house
apparently ran a french fry stand here or something. The fan, grate and
motor are covered with grease that's grown hair. Dust, actually. The
non-electrical parts are easy to clean in a sink of soapy water, but I'm
wondering about the fan motor itself. It appears to be sealed, but I still
don't want to spray anything on it that might seep in and screw it up. My
mechanic gave me a can of spray degreaser that works nicely on my trailer
wheel bearings. Maybe something like that?

m Ransley

If it is a sealed motor just wipe it off and oil the bearing ports if it
has any. Any cleaner inside will dislodge grease and maybe ruin it. Ive
soaked non sealed motors in cleaner but I would not do a sealed motor,
not enough vantilation and draining to remove crud. Use a filter at the
vent hood to keep grease out. It was made sealed for a reason, grease
buildup-fire protection.