Doug Kanter

Default Cleaning Electric Motors

I have a through-the-wall kitchen fan, and the previous owner of this house
apparently ran a french fry stand here or something. The fan, grate and
motor are covered with grease that's grown hair. Dust, actually. The
non-electrical parts are easy to clean in a sink of soapy water, but I'm
wondering about the fan motor itself. It appears to be sealed, but I still
don't want to spray anything on it that might seep in and screw it up. My
mechanic gave me a can of spray degreaser that works nicely on my trailer
wheel bearings. Maybe something like that?