Ricky

Default Ground Termites - Do it yourself treatments?

Hello,
Looking at several types of baiting systems that you can buy online to
save some $$, plus at least own the baiting devices. Have found
Firstline, Home Choice. Have used Sentricon & it did work but wondering
if there are less expensive alternatives. Btw, I did Google newsgroups
to see if this topic was brought up before. Thanks for any & all help.
Rick

TURTLE

"Ricky" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
Looking at several types of baiting systems that you can buy online to
save some $$, plus at least own the baiting devices. Have found
Firstline, Home Choice. Have used Sentricon & it did work but wondering
if there are less expensive alternatives. Btw, I did Google newsgroups
to see if this topic was brought up before. Thanks for any & all help.
Rick

This is Turtle.

I'm not a termite person but talk to the termite people some with my house.

1] If the termites are in your house already you use bait type stuff.

2] If they have not gotten into your house already . you use chemicals to kill
them as the enter.

3] The best it to call the termite people to come spray.

4] if you want to spray yourself. use Duraband sold by T-N-T at $6.00 a bottle
which makes 5 gallons of spray. Houses off the ground spray the pillers and
anything that touches the ground. if a slab. Dig a 6'' ditch around your house
and fill it with Duraband. A 2,000 sq. ft. house will take about 6 to 8 bottles.

5] now the best is to get the real termite company to spray it right and not
worry about it.

Duraband is to be taken off the market in the year 2005 or 2006 but not sure.
Someone may want to check on this for i lost touch with the time of it moving
on.

TURTLE

Matt Morgan

"Ricky" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,
Looking at several types of baiting systems that you can buy online to

Ricky -

I'm no expert, but have had cases of termites in my house.

In my experience, there is no do it yourself solution. The chmicals
available in the stores are no longer as powerfull as they once were.

You could probably go search some of the "organic" sites for an answer, I
used to think they were full of malarkey but a surprsing number of natural
treatments can be effective.

I used the ... what was the name . ... terminex? system? Definitely not
DIY..... but VERY EFFECTIVE, IMO.

Best of luck.
Matt

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

It's pretty common for those bait systems to just not work. It's a pain to
maintain them and quite frankly, won't prevent them from coming into the
house
anyway. Key for termites is water and cellulose (typically wood).
Provide a leaky
pipe in a stud home and why would they bother with the bait? Best bet is
to get it
professionally done where they trench around the perimeter and treat it.
If this is new
construction, have them spray all the studs as well and then get the drywall
up. I never really understood
why the wood suppliers haven't sold "pretreated" lumber to prevent termites.
Sounds like
a money making venture to me.
Cheers,
cc

Norminn

Lar wrote:
In article .com,
says...
Hello,
Looking at several types of baiting systems that you can buy online to
save some $$, plus at least own the baiting devices. Have found
Firstline, Home Choice. Have used Sentricon & it did work but wondering
if there are less expensive alternatives. Btw, I did Google newsgroups
to see if this topic was brought up before. Thanks for any & all help.
Rick

Baits are too much money for no more results that you get and by nature
aren't the best way as a stand alone way to protect the home. The baits
you can get will kill termites that feed on the baits and then in turn
the ones they feed, but it will be only a fraction of the nest feeding
on any given time. The best alternative is having the home treated with
Termidor. The comparison will vary around the country but in the Dallas
area for example, my cost for a Termidor treatment can be 1/3 of a
Sentricon ...often referred as "simple con"...job, and I have yet to
have a call for re treatment on any home treated with it.

Since you sell Termidor, I'd rather see more authoritative information.
Different areas of the country have different kinds of termite
infestations, and ag extension services would be a good resource for
experience in an area. Prevention and inspection are just as important.
Subterranean and other termites can require very different treatments.
Folks licensed in pest control have available different
types/strengths of chemicals, and some chemicals may not be licensed for
use in some states.

Joseph Meehan

Ricky wrote:
Hello,
Looking at several types of baiting systems that you can buy online to
save some $$, plus at least own the baiting devices. Have found
Firstline, Home Choice. Have used Sentricon & it did work but
wondering if there are less expensive alternatives. Btw, I did Google
newsgroups to see if this topic was brought up before. Thanks for any
& all help. Rick

Everyone's suggestions have been good, but remember that this is a big
world and there are many different termite problems. What works in Scotland
may not work well in Florida or the other way around. I suggest contacting
someone local or at least tell us in what kind of area you live. Often a
local authority like the US county extension service can be of a lot of
help.

BTW I agree that a bait system may not be a good idea in most areas when
you don't already have them, why invite them?

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit

Lar

In article ,
says...
Since you sell Termidor, I'd rather see more authoritative information.
Different areas of the country have different kinds of termite
infestations, and ag extension services would be a good resource for
experience in an area. Prevention and inspection are just as important.
Subterranean and other termites can require very different treatments.
Folks licensed in pest control have available different
types/strengths of chemicals, and some chemicals may not be licensed for
use in some states.

I don't "sell" Termidor". I sell my service, with expectations of
eliminating termite problems. I can use and probably have used any other
of the products on the market. I did the bait routine before Termidor
was on the market and have since pulled the stations and and treated my
customer's home with it at my cost, because there is no question,
termites are taken care of once it has been applied. It is the most
expensive liquid product that the pros can buy, yet I can charge less
per job because of the way it works and eliminates call backs. We have
yet to have a call back on any home we treated with it since 2000 when
it came on the market. PCO's are an informative bunch, type Pest
Control in any search engine and email any company that pops up and ask
what their opinion of termidor is whether they advertise using it or
not. As mentioned termidor is not licensed in New York, but the same
makers have another product called Phantom that is, that many claim
works as well. I haven't used it on termite work (if it ain't broke,
don't fix it) but for me it has proven to be as effective as the makers
claims for indoor ant problems and German roach infestations, so would
guess it would be another good product for termites.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
Philip Lewis

"Matt Morgan" writes:
In my experience, there is no do it yourself solution. The chmicals
available in the stores are no longer as powerfull as they once were.

I've been looking into the borate/glycol mixes for termite/mold prevention
There are DIY recipes involving boric acid, borax, and propylene
glycol which imitate commercial boracare, and tim-bor for much less
money than the commercial products.

I can't seem to find the links right now.

--
be safe.
flip

DOUGLAS

"Philip Lewis" wrote in message
"Matt Morgan" writes:
In my experience, there is no do it yourself solution. The chmicals
available in the stores are no longer as powerfull as they once were.

I've been looking into the borate/glycol mixes for termite/mold prevention
There are DIY recipes involving boric acid, borax, and propylene
glycol which imitate commercial boracare, and tim-bor for much less
money than the commercial products.

I can't seem to find the links right now.

The problem with any of the borate treatments is that they don't penetrate
the wood enough to give complete protection.
Also, you can't apply them to hidden areas (wall studs, sheet rocked
basement rafters, etc, etc.).

I've had good luck with the baiting system sold by Home Depot - the
Terminate sulflurimide bait traps.
However, I place the bait tubes much closer than recommended and constantly
monitor them.

In three houses where I've used this treatment, termite activity has
drastically falllen off or has been eliminated.
However, in one case it took 3 years of constant treatment.

Doug

The average homeowner isnt suppose to be able to buy
Termidor, BUT some people do sell that stuff on
some popular online auction sites. This stuff
can get expensive. I recall some water mix stuff
that was about 150.00 a package. Real nasty stuff but
when mixed and put in the soil it killed the infestation.

Same exact stuff the pro's use. Just make sure to follow
the manufactures website (or package) to the letter.

Tom

Lar wrote:
In article ,
says...