Matt

Default Group discussion underway - need volunteers

All,

The process of creating a new group for HVAC questions has begun.

The group will be moderated.

I prefer that it be moderated by a group of people, as otherwise the
workload is simply too much.

Problem: In order to moderate, you need to be competent in the
mechanics of the group; i.e. you ned to know about hvac.

I know nothing about it; perhaps other than the electical (not
electronic) portions.

Any volunteers? I ask you all to consider the pain and misery this
group could save so many people.

Thanks
Matt

pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On 3 Apr 2005 18:13:44 -0700, "Matt" wrote:

All,

The process of creating a new group for HVAC questions has begun.

The group will be moderated.

I prefer that it be moderated by a group of people, as otherwise the
workload is simply too much.

Problem: In order to moderate, you need to be competent in the
mechanics of the group; i.e. you ned to know about hvac.

I know nothing about it; perhaps other than the electical (not
electronic) portions.

You know about the "ELECTICAL" portion ? WTF is the
"ELECTICAL" portion ????

Any volunteers? I ask you all to consider the pain and misery this
group could save so many people.

Weasel can't do it unless you call it 'alt.hacks', sorry. You
can't do it unless you call it 'alt.out.of.work.plumbers'.

Matt

Paul,

I still forgive you.

Your friend,

Matt

pjm@see_my_sig_for_address.com

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 10:41:14 -0600, DJ wrote:

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 01:21:20 GMT,
wrote:
\

Why do you feel so threatened by this? It would seem you want this guy
out of "your" newsgroup, wouldn't this accomplish that very goal?

I'm not 'threatened' by anything. And I won't have this
unemployed plumber running around acting like a big man, throwing the
**** he throws at me ( which you haven't seen a tiny little fraction
of ), and pretending to be somehow related to HVAC, which he is not.

It's been my experience that it's the biggest losers who feel the need
to take "possession" of a newsgroup, people that don't have much else
going in their life, people that need that little feeling of
importance they get from acting as though they actually "own" the NG.

Then you describe Matt perfectly, along with Wease aka Turtle
and FTWHD.

Many times, what expertise they may have to offer is lost in the
struggle to maintain their (delusional) position of importance...

They HAVE no 'expertise', and I call them out on it, and they
lose every time. That's what drives them to want to 'kick me out and
take over' - so I stop calling 'bull****' when 'bull****' needs
calling. But I won't.

Click every day here to feed an animal !!!
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

HVAC/R program for Palm PDA's
Free demo now available online http://pmilligan.net/palm/
Free Temperature / Pressure charts for 38 Ref's http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm/

HeyBub

Matt wrote:

Problem: In order to moderate, you need to be competent in the
mechanics of the group; i.e. you ned to know about hvac.

No, just be able to recognize abusive, off-topic, or profane posts.

Matt Morgan

"HeyBub" wrote in message
No, just be able to recognize abusive, off-topic, or profane posts.

Well, I agree with that to a certain point. And I could perform that task.

However, HVAC repair is something that can get people killed if the wrong
advice is given. IMO, there is a very fine line between providing a
valuable, helpful service to someone with self initiative and the abilities
to troubelshoot and use basic tools, and someone who simply has no business
being anywhere near a device that combines fuel, electricity, electronics,
and electro mechanical devices.

Therefore, moderators need to be savvy when a poster gives incorrect or
dangerous advice.

There are MANY things that a homeowner can do to keep their HVAC systems in
shape, and their are many things that the average homeowner can repair with
his/her system, saving alot of money in the process.

I don't have the knowledge to make this distinction. I asked several people
who do have this knowledge if they would be interested; none replied.

Therefore, I had no choiuce but to end the quest for a single place on
usenet where questions related to HVAC homeowner repairs could be asked.

Also, the thought of even considering such a group struck such fear into the
alt.hvac thugs that my simple request ended in a semi flame war; although as
always, they got their asses handed to them by the admins of the group in
question. (alt.config).

I'm still mystified by this however, as the standard mantra from King
Sphincter (PJM) has always been - post it in alt.home.repair, not here.

I suspect the truth is he fears that he won't be able to get his hands into
every discussion related to HVAC if a moderated group were to be created;
either to comment, or as his established pattern of many years - to insult.
You see, in his humble mind, King Sphincter owns all HVAC discussions for
all time.

So now, I obtained a newsfeed other than google, and now having the ability
to killfile the alt.hvac carp; am content to give up the battle. Turtle does
a fine job of answering questions here, and although sometimes a bit more
abrubt than folks would like, Bubba also provides good info. In short,
alt.home.repair can do the job very well on it's own, as long as folks keep
ignoring the alt.hvac spreaders of misery and misinformation.

(Which, I admit, on this topic I have quite some work to do. I'm trying my
best. If you want to help me, don't respond to any of the soon to come

Also, I was able to get PJM banned by his ISP, and his cancelling of posts
stopped by the net.admin folks. He is nothing but a silly figurehead now;
his minions have abandoned him, and all pauie points are no longer
redeemable.

Thanks for your comments.

Matt

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"Matt Morgan" wrote in message
m...

Also, I was able to get PJM banned by his ISP, and his cancelling of posts
stopped by the net.admin folks. He is nothing but a silly figurehead now;
his minions have abandoned him, and all pauie points are no longer
redeemable.

Thanks for your comments.

Matt

Here is why you suck man..

You lie.

You did no such thing, and I can prove it. Hell, you just say WHEN he was
banned, and for how long.....and ANYONE with Google will know you lie yet
again to further your own poor cause.

TURTLE

"DJ" wrote in message
On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 01:21:20 GMT,
wrote:

[...]

An Onlooker

This is Turtle.

You stuck a nerve with the poster that replied here to and he had to clear up as
to ownership of alt.hvac. I own nothing but a log in and posting ability.

TURTLE

Matt Morgan

"TURTLE" wrote in message
news

This is Turtle.

You stuck a nerve with the poster that replied here to and he had to clear
up as to ownership of alt.hvac. I own nothing but a log in and posting
ability.

TURTLE

Turtle, I agree completely.

First, PJ came in and as always, threw out his usual assortment of lame
insults and tired phrases.

And then DJ came along and expressed the obvious:

Paul, if you want people out of hvac, why do you also not want a new group
created for them to go to?

To which no one can possibly know the answer, surely Paul will never be man
enough to discuss his reasoning. I can only guess than Paul has some sort of
deep seated need to prove he knows everything about everything, and can't
stand the thought of people talking about anything without his being able to
monitor it.

It matters not.

There is a level of decency that even the minions of paul (with 1, perhaps 2
exceptions) will NOT sink to; and that level is when one man makes a
concerted effort to take the food out of another mans mouth and the mouths
of his family because of something posted on an internet forum.

Pauls minions are scattering. The normal stench of the rotting carcass of
alt.hvac has grown exponentially stronger these past days.

Soon it will be abandoned completely, and paul will be left alone to wallow
in his cesspool of hatred and misery.

In the meantime, keep on keeping on Terry. You know the secret to ending
this stinking mess, and I salute you for your patience in executing it.

Matt

Goedjn

No, just be able to recognize abusive, off-topic, or profane posts.

Well, I agree with that to a certain point. And I could perform that task.

However, HVAC repair is something that can get people killed if the wrong
advice is given. IMO, there is a very fine line between providing a

Therefore, moderators need to be savvy when a poster gives incorrect or
dangerous advice.

That's what the other members of the group are for. In any newsgroup
with a reasonable membership, bad advice gets corrected fairly
quickly. The trick is keeping the corrections from escalating into
flame wars.