Default ball park price refinishing hardwood floors

I am selling house and have 5 rooms that need new rugs or hardwood
floors refinished. I have de rugged 2 and floor is in decent shape (
needs refinsh but no major blems etc).

My real estate agent tells me I will get my cost back in sale price
but she may be FOS. In the atlanta georgia area what kind of ball
park per square ft. cost might I expect. Do not need to call people
out for estimates and waste their time if cost will be to high about
800 ft sq total.
Kyle Boatright

uriah wrote in message ...
I am selling house and have 5 rooms that need new rugs or hardwood
floors refinished. I have de rugged 2 and floor is in decent shape (
needs refinsh but no major blems etc).

My real estate agent tells me I will get my cost back in sale price
but she may be FOS. In the atlanta georgia area what kind of ball
park per square ft. cost might I expect. Do not need to call people
out for estimates and waste their time if cost will be to high about
800 ft sq total.

I just had 700 sf of hardwood installed in Atlanta. Supposedly I got a good
deal because of connections to the installer. That said, the total cost was
$6.25/sf with the breakdown being $3.00/sf for the wood, $1.00 for laying
the wood, and $2.25 for finishing the wood. I would expect the $2.25 is
what it might cost to refinish an older floor.

So, your total cost would be in the $1800 range if you could get the same
pricing I did...

One option is DIY. It ain't rocket science, and I'd guess you could do that
much in a weekend if you wanted...

Mikepier

Last year when I got my floors redone it was $1.70 per sq foot. Thats
for 2 coats of polyurethane. For 3 coats it would have been I think
like $2.00 sq/ft more but most people do only 2 coats which in my
opinion looks good.

Colbyt

uriah wrote in message ...
I am selling house and have 5 rooms that need new rugs or hardwood
floors refinished. I have de rugged 2 and floor is in decent shape (
needs refinsh but no major blems etc).

My real estate agent tells me I will get my cost back in sale price
but she may be FOS. In the atlanta georgia area what kind of ball
park per square ft. cost might I expect. Do not need to call people
out for estimates and waste their time if cost will be to high about
800 ft sq total.

In most classes of homes today nice newly finished hardwood floors will get
you more than the cost of the refinish. It will also cost a lot less than
carpet.

Most refinishers will quote you a price per square foot over the phone. That
price will vary very little in a given market once you find the low overhead
guys. Most of the better ones do not have yellow page ads and they don't
advertise. They stay busy from referrals only.

Another poster said he paid about $2.25 in your area for new wood. That is
more than it would cost here but is inline with what I perceive to be the
difference in labor cost between here and Atlanta. I would expect a refinish
to be a little less than that unless the floors are really rough. New wood
takes 3 passes with 3 different grits of paper. Most refinishes take two
passes with 2 grits. Your price will be based on the number of sandings and
the number of coats of poly. Two is the minimum acceptable for coats and
three is even better.

Colbyt

Kiwanda

"Mikepier" wrote in
oups.com:

Last year when I got my floors redone it was $1.70 per sq foot. Thats
for 2 coats of polyurethane. For 3 coats it would have been I think
like $2.00 sq/ft more but most people do only 2 coats which in my
opinion looks good.

I refinshed a bedroom and hallway in our place last week-- about 160 sq
feet of thin-strip 1950s oak --for a cost of about $100 total. $40
sander rental, $20 sandpaper, $40 for a gallon of poly. This was a
floor that some idiot had glued vinyl to, so stripping and sanding was
a chore that took about six hours. Four coats of poly went down in one
day and it looks great. So that's what, about $.70/sq foot?

-kiwanda