loomis

Default newbie needs help - hardwood floors - stuff in bettween? - pic link too

Hi there.

I live in an old old building. All hardwood floors. In between the
floorboards is this stuff. Black and sometimes tan stuff. Used to fill
the gaps.

Looks like this, with the "|'s" being the stuff:

beam|beam|beam|beam| etc...

Here is a photo:

http://home.neo.rr.com/bughead/floor.jpg

Well that black stuff is in need of a refilling in several areas where
it has chipped out. The missing areas are causing cold air to come up
from the storage area on the first floor.

What is that stuff? Caulking? I imagine I'd need to put something in
there that could expand and contract when the temperature changes.

I would need the stuff to be black. I do NOT want to have to do any
sanding or staining whatever I put in there. I want to do this as
cheaply as possible.

Thanks a bunch,

Loomis
Young Carpenter

Looks like roof sealant.

--
Young Carpenter

plenty of practice, and you usually make way more noise than intended"

"loomis" wrote in message
[...]

Preston Andreas

The black part is probably where it got dirty. They make fillers for wood
floors and I know a couple of floor installers that make their own from the
sanding dust, whiting, boiled linseed oil and a little color. However, I
don't know about using the filler on already finished floors. You might
call a flooring company or a wood floor installer and ask them.

Preston
"Young Carpenter" wrote in message
Looks like roof sealant.

--

"loomis" wrote in message
[...]

MSgeek

Dont know what is in there but I know what to replace it with.

Get some natural rope just big enough whereas it must be pressed in. Stain
in black with regular wood stain. Very easy to stain and shouldnt cost alot.