Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Wes Stebbins

Default Electrical: Joining Wires

I'm installing PS 1/PS 5 Air Seal Recessed Housing from Thomas Lighting
(purchased from Menards). I have two basic questions concerning the joining
of wires when wiring up these lights.

1) I know when you join two solid wires together you're supposed to wind
them clockwise around each other. Also, when you join a single stand wire
to a solid you're supposed to first wrap the strand end around the solid
wire, then bend the solid wire over the stranded wire. My question, then,
is what do you do when you have two solid wires and 1 stranded wire to
connect together.

2) Also, concerning the particular lighting described above, when connecting
additional outl, a contractor friend of mine attaches (wraps) both ground
wires together, and then sends them back up through the knockout - as
opposed to doing what the directions say, namely, hook the ground to the
green wires, etc. What is the correct way to do this (or are they both
ok?), as well as advantages/disadvantages to each?

Thanks,

Wes