Robert Barr

Wes Stebbins wrote:
I'm installing PS 1/PS 5 Air Seal Recessed Housing from Thomas Lighting
(purchased from Menards). I have two basic questions concerning the joining
of wires when wiring up these lights.

1) I know when you join two solid wires together you're supposed to wind
them clockwise around each other. Also, when you join a single stand wire
to a solid you're supposed to first wrap the strand end around the solid
wire, then bend the solid wire over the stranded wire. My question, then,
is what do you do when you have two solid wires and 1 stranded wire to
connect together.

I have never trusted stranded wire connetions. I've seen too many go
bad (mainly from corrosion over time) & cause problems. I solder. It
takes a few extra minutes, but in my view, it's always worth it.

If you want something that can be taken apart later, you can also 'tin'
the stranded ends (with solder), effectively making them solid. That
gives the wire nut something to dig into, and keeps the corrosion in check.