waves2ya

Default Water Table...

Greetings.

I live in a developed suburban community (at the apex of the area
grade) and I'm having some trouble with water in my basement. I've
installed excursion drains and directed water away from my home but
have a question; how does one determine the water table on a parcel of
land?

My house is 150 yrs old - is this the kind of record that's kept by
municipal gov't?

Many thks, in advance, for advice...

m Ransley

Dig down.

Get a post hole digger, the type that you turn with a cross handle as
it goes into the ground, not the style with two halves that you bring
together. With one of those and some extension pipe added on, you can
dig a hole probably 15 ft deep or so, certainly deep enough to
determine if the water level is above or below your basement level. Of
course, that assumes you live in an area with reasonable soil, not on a
mountain full of rocks.

DanG

No, I don't think it will be a matter of municipal record.
Contact a local well drilling company, they can test but will
probably already know the answer.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"waves2ya" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings.

I live in a developed suburban community (at the apex of the
area
grade) and I'm having some trouble with water in my basement.
I've
installed excursion drains and directed water away from my home
but
have a question; how does one determine the water table on a
parcel of
land?

My house is 150 yrs old - is this the kind of record that's kept
by
municipal gov't?

Many thks, in advance, for advice...

Beachcomber

have a question; how does one determine the water table on a
parcel of
land?

My house is 150 yrs old - is this the kind of record that's kept
by
municipal gov't?

Many thks, in advance, for advice...

My county, a rural Oregon county, keeps a record of all wells, year
drilled, depth, water table, etc., year closed or abandoned.

Your milage may vary...

Beachcomber

Another way to figure it out would be to use a couple of lengths of 1/2
plastic pipe connected up to a water hose to basicly hydro bore your
way down 15 ft or so. Then just leave the pipe there for a few days,
until the water level reachs it's natural level, which you can measure
with a string and small weight.

waves2ya

Many thks for advice.

Is what it is, but before I install a new driveway as remedy, I'm
trying to understand scope of problem as best I can. Asphalt won't
address b'smt leak if water table is pushing up against seam (leak is
at seam of floor & wall).

I'll be watching it rain today...

m Ransley

If it is just the seam grind it out and remortar then seal the area.
Those are 2 different pours that are common to leak. Drill through the
floor and take a sample in different areas and wall to, dig out some
dirt with a screwdriver if it is wet you will know easily.

Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Why do gas water heaters fail? I-zheet M'drurz Home Repair 40 January 12th 04 09:59 PM
Grounding Rod Info Mark Wilson Home Repair 37 July 19th 03 02:34 PM