Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Trent-Lion

Default How easy to scratch stainless steel refrigerator?

We are thinking about getting a stainless steel refrigerator: Kenmore
model 75503.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...es&vertical=AP
PL&pid=04675503000

Can't tell from the online info if it is smooth or textured. How
likely is this refrigerator to pick up scratches? Two careful adults,
no kids. If this refrig will be a worry re scratches, we will go with
white. Thx. T-L
Travis Jordan

Trent-Lion wrote:
We are thinking about getting a stainless steel refrigerator: Kenmore

Scratching may or may not be a problem. Every couple I know (yes, even
those without kids) bitch about how hard it is to keep the SS surface
clean. Even with textured surfaces. YMMV.

D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
Travis Jordan wrote:
Trent-Lion wrote:
We are thinking about getting a stainless steel refrigerator: Kenmore

Scratching may or may not be a problem. Every couple I know (yes, even
those without kids) bitch about how hard it is to keep the SS surface
clean. Even with textured surfaces. YMMV.

Mine is smooth-textured and doesn't scratch or get dirty. How would it?
I guess it accumulates dust over time, but... I wouldn't worry about it.

Dimitri

Travis Jordan

D. Gerasimatos wrote:
Mine is smooth-textured and doesn't scratch or get dirty. How would
it? I guess it accumulates dust over time, but... I wouldn't worry

Fingerprints.

Ron Peterson

Trent-Lion wrote:
We are thinking about getting a stainless steel refrigerator: Kenmore
model 75503.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...es&vertical=AP
PL&pid=04675503000

Can't tell from the online info if it is smooth or textured. How
likely is this refrigerator to pick up scratches? Two careful adults,
no kids. If this refrig will be a worry re scratches, we will go with
white. Thx. T-L

The Product Specs tab indicates that it uses textured steel.

--
Ron

D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
Travis Jordan wrote:
D. Gerasimatos wrote:
Mine is smooth-textured and doesn't scratch or get dirty. How would
it? I guess it accumulates dust over time, but... I wouldn't worry

Fingerprints.

Mine has this thing on it called a 'handle'. Weird, huh?

Dimitri

shinypenny

Travis Jordan wrote:
Trent-Lion wrote:
We are thinking about getting a stainless steel refrigerator:

Kenmore

Scratching may or may not be a problem. Every couple I know (yes,

even
those without kids) bitch about how hard it is to keep the SS surface
clean. Even with textured surfaces. YMMV.

We have one. Came with our renovated house; as with all the appliances,
it seems the builder bought it as a "scratch & dent" item from the
local Sears store. Therefore, it already came with one minor dent in
it. SS does dent, whereas regular fridges don't. The dent is in an area
nobody ever notices.

I would consider where the fridge is going. Is there a potential that
opening the door could accidentally scratch it, like against the
counter or whatever?

As for keeping it clean, I like it much better than the standard fridge
surface. White fridges show splatters and drips and dirt much more
easily, IMO. You do get fingerprints, but it's no big deal to clean it.
I just use SS appliance spray on it once a week. Only really need to do
the trouble zones, like around the handle and near the ice maker.

Also keep in mind with SS you can't stick magnets all over the fridge.
I personally view this as a benefit, and not a drawback, because I hate
fridge clutter, but YMMV.

If you are considering resale value, I'd definetly go with SS, as it's
the trend nowadays and what people want.

jen

D. Gerasimatos

In article . com,
shinypenny wrote:

[snip!]

Also keep in mind with SS you can't stick magnets all over the fridge.
I personally view this as a benefit, and not a drawback, because I hate
fridge clutter, but YMMV.

Some stainless steels are ferromagnetic and some are not. It depends.

Dimitri

Charles Spitzer

"shinypenny" wrote in message
ups.com...

Travis Jordan wrote:
Trent-Lion wrote:
We are thinking about getting a stainless steel refrigerator:

Kenmore

Scratching may or may not be a problem. Every couple I know (yes,

even
those without kids) bitch about how hard it is to keep the SS surface
clean. Even with textured surfaces. YMMV.

We have one. Came with our renovated house; as with all the appliances,
it seems the builder bought it as a "scratch & dent" item from the
local Sears store. Therefore, it already came with one minor dent in
it. SS does dent, whereas regular fridges don't. The dent is in an area
nobody ever notices.

non-stainless fridges do dent.

I would consider where the fridge is going. Is there a potential that
opening the door could accidentally scratch it, like against the
counter or whatever?

As for keeping it clean, I like it much better than the standard fridge
surface. White fridges show splatters and drips and dirt much more
easily, IMO. You do get fingerprints, but it's no big deal to clean it.
I just use SS appliance spray on it once a week. Only really need to do
the trouble zones, like around the handle and near the ice maker.

Also keep in mind with SS you can't stick magnets all over the fridge.
I personally view this as a benefit, and not a drawback, because I hate
fridge clutter, but YMMV.

If you are considering resale value, I'd definetly go with SS, as it's
the trend nowadays and what people want.

jen

Milos

"Trent-Lion" wrote in message
We are thinking about getting a stainless steel refrigerator:

If the Sears model doesn't work out for you, Whirlpool has an alternative
called Satina that has the look of stainless steel, without some of the
negatives. You can see the details at:
http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/pro...ureKey=SF20860

TURTLE

"D. Gerasimatos" wrote in message
In article ,
Travis Jordan wrote:
D. Gerasimatos wrote:
Mine is smooth-textured and doesn't scratch or get dirty. How would
it? I guess it accumulates dust over time, but... I wouldn't worry

Fingerprints.

Mine has this thing on it called a 'handle'. Weird, huh?

Dimitri

This is Turtle

But Kids a lot of time don't know how to spell or use the word handle. The Kids
think the Door is to beat on and you use the handle to open it.

TURTLE

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:28:32 -0500, someone wrote:

Can't tell from the online info if it is smooth or textured. How
likely is this refrigerator to pick up scratches?

Scratches? Why would it be any more likely to scratch than a white
painted one? I'd think the paint would be more vulnerable, and if you
do scratch paint what's under it will be a diferent color..

I have a stainless refrigerator, dishwasher and oven/stove. I don't
think its a big deal. They are the usual 'brushed' finish - like
100,000 little scratches per s.f. anyway.

On 11 Feb 2005 11:29:51 -0800, someone wrote:

.. SS does dent, whereas regular fridges don't.

Huh? How do you figure that? You don't think there are any white
fridges in the scratch & dent department? A white fridge is just
painted sheet metal. Sheet metal dents. Just like you car.

GE HTS22GBMARWW Digital Controls refrig 22 cu ft.....main bord failure number #3! henrib7 Home Repair 7 June 13th 04 09:30 AM
Stainless steel pipes. Mark UK diy 5 December 19th 03 10:48 PM
leaking stainless steel sink outlet the yorkshire dalesman UK diy 5 December 3rd 03 12:08 AM
Stainless Steel splashbacks Reestit Mutton UK diy 6 November 3rd 03 11:21 AM
Stainless steel sink - cleaning Ed UK diy 18 September 4th 03 11:07 AM