Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

GMinTX

Default Bathroom Wall outlets - no power-

I'm at a loss of where to look next.

Have a bathroom that shares a circuit breaker with a back bedroom,
utility room and hall.

Light and exhaust fan in bathroom, lights and receptacles in
utility/bedroom/hall all work.

I have two receptacles in the bathroom that do not. One has a label
that says GFI protected, which I assume, is tailed off of a GFI. I
have reset all GFI units in the house (two kitchen, two master bath)
still not able to use the bathroom wall outlets. I took them apart to
check wire and found what I considered loose connections, I tightened
them all
down and still not working.

When checking for power with meter I do have power from the prong to
the ground , I do not have power with I put the meter across the two
prongs.

Any suggestions. House is only 3 years old. I have reset feed in the
main breaker box..

Speedy Jim

GMinTX wrote:

[...]

If I understand your test with the meter, the Neutral (White wire)
is opened *somewhere*. Could be a bad wirenut splice or connection
in the chain to another receptacle. You may have to identify every
device on that circuit and open each box to find it.

Jim
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

"GMinTX" wrote:

I have two receptacles in the bathroom that do not. One has a label
that says GFI protected, which I assume, is tailed off of a GFI. I
have reset all GFI units in the house (two kitchen, two master bath)
still not able to use the bathroom wall outlets.

You haven't found the right GFI yet. Did you try in the garage? Those have to be
protected as well and it's common to string the bathroom outlets off the garage
outlet circuit.
GMinTX

Jim and Clark, thanks for the fast reply and suggestions.

I did have a GFI in the garage that I did not check on the first go
around but that was not the problem. Thanks Clark for the suggestion
as I had completely forgotten about it.

Jim you hit the nail on the head, or should I say GFI

I took the receptacle out of the outlet in the master bath that was
down line from the GFI in the master bath and low and behold the
"white" lead going to the other bathroom had come out of the back
of the receptacle. On closer inspection the other three leads were
just barely inserted in the back. I removed them and redid the leads
to the screw lugs and problem solved.

Want to thank both you for you're your suggestions. Love this
Internet and the helpful people using it.

Rich Greenberg

In article . com,
GMinTX wrote:

I took the receptacle out of the outlet in the master bath that was
down line from the GFI in the master bath and low and behold the
"white" lead going to the other bathroom had come out of the back
of the receptacle. On closer inspection the other three leads were
just barely inserted in the back. I removed them and redid the leads
to the screw lugs and problem solved.

Good.

This is why I NEVER use the "poke them in" option on switches and
outlets.

Smooth Wall? (Bathroom) mo UK diy 6 July 3rd 04 12:29 PM
Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM
Switched wall power outlet? volts500 Home Repair 0 July 15th 03 01:04 AM