Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Mary Chan

Default Beware of this contractor

My husband and I recently hired Mr. Tony Dillon of Skyview Sunroom and
Renovations Ltd. (Halifax, NS, Canada) to convert an existing porch area in
a sunroom. We choose Mr. Dillon over another contractor with a very similar
proposal because his company was a member of the Better Business Bureau. We
deeply regret hiring Mr. Dillon for the following reasons:

1.. Mr. Dillon extorted of 100% balance owing from customer without mutual
agreement that work was completed. The consumer is required by law to
withhold 10% payment for 45 days after completion of work.
2.. Did not built finished product to contract specification and Mr.
Dillon refused take responsibility.
1.. Windows and glass panes were not the size specified on contract.
2.. Windows not permanently installed: The only thing holding the large
sheets of glass in place on the inside are only 3 or 4 per pane of temporary
nailed down small wooden block!
3.. One segment of wall do not have the ½" plywood installed as stated
in contract.
3.. Disrespect of customer property.
1.. Used customer building materials and equipment without prior
consent.
2.. Inappropriate and wasteful use of customer provided building
material.
3.. Did not return key to the back entry enclosure where Mr. Dillon had
asked to store tools during construction.
4.. Destroyed flowers in flowerbed and sign marker by driving van over
them.
5.. Damaged grass by leaving construction material on lawn for three
weeks.
4.. Poor quality workmanship due to lack of care and attention to details.
1.. Only two of the 12 floor joists were in contact with main support
beam of added floor. The largest space between the joist and beam was as
much as 3/8". This can lead to cracks on the floor if not corrected.
2.. Walls are not adequately sealed to rain or wind.
3.. Not consistent use of tongue and grove siding on walls.
4.. Outer covering do not match up at the corners where two wall meet.
5.. Messy application of foam sealant leaving residues on exposed wood
and carpet.
5.. Mr. Dillon did not respond adequately to customer raised concerns and
issues.
1.. Repeated requests for information left by phone calls, notes, and
faxes resulted in little or no response.
2.. Arranged to meet Mr. Dillon at the work site only to find that he
was not there on a number of occasions.
3.. Mr. Dillon did not appreciate customer input and paid little
attention to concerns raised.
6.. Mr. Dillon refused on put specific items on contract when requested.
7.. Mr. Dillon signed the contact using the name and address of a legally
dissolved company.

Mr. Dillon's unprofessional behaviour should not be tolerated.
Unfortunately, there is little to protect the consumer's interest once the
work begins.

FC

Mary Chan wrote:
My husband and I recently hired Mr. Tony Dillon of Skyview Sunroom and
Renovations Ltd. (Halifax, NS, Canada) to convert an existing porch area in
a sunroom. We choose Mr. Dillon over another contractor with a very similar
proposal because his company was a member of the Better Business Bureau. We
deeply regret hiring Mr. Dillon for the following reasons:

(snip long list of complain)

Mr. Dillon's unprofessional behaviour should not be tolerated.
Unfortunately, there is little to protect the consumer's interest once the
work begins.

If BBB worked the same way as in the US then you should file a formal
complain with BBB and state everything you posted here. So that person
will not be able to use his affiliation with BBB to his advantage in the
future.

FC

Don Phillipson

"Mary Chan" wrote in message

My husband and I recently hired Mr. Tony Dillon of Skyview Sunroom and
Renovations Ltd. (Halifax, NS, Canada) to convert an existing porch area

in
a sunroom. We choose Mr. Dillon over another contractor with a very

similar
proposal because his company was a member of the Better Business Bureau.

We
deeply regret hiring Mr. Dillon for the following reasons:

1.. Mr. Dillon extorted of 100% balance owing from customer without

mutual
agreement that work was completed. The consumer is required by law to
withhold 10% payment for 45 days after completion of work. . . .
. . .
Mr. Dillon's unprofessional behaviour should not be tolerated.
Unfortunately, there is little to protect the consumer's interest once the
work begins.

Look into "Small Claims Court" in Halifax.
(Reduce your complaints to only those that
contribute to getting a large refund of the
money paid.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Al Bundy

FC wrote in message ...
Mary Chan wrote:
My husband and I recently hired Mr. Tony Dillon of Skyview Sunroom and
Renovations Ltd. (Halifax, NS, Canada) to convert an existing porch area in
a sunroom. We choose Mr. Dillon over another contractor with a very similar
proposal because his company was a member of the Better Business Bureau. We
deeply regret hiring Mr. Dillon for the following reasons:

(snip long list of complain)

Mr. Dillon's unprofessional behaviour should not be tolerated.
Unfortunately, there is little to protect the consumer's interest once the
work begins.

If BBB worked the same way as in the US then you should file a formal
complain with BBB and state everything you posted here. So that person
will not be able to use his affiliation with BBB to his advantage in the
future.

FC

Dear Ms. Chan,
You certainly have a hefty list of seemingly valid complaints there
against what you feel is a corrupt builder. In the words of your
beloved husband, Charlie, "A fool and his money never become old
acquaintances." (CHA)
Let this be a lesson to all, never part with all the money up front on
a job. Pay no more than material up front and get waiver of leins on
that too. A quality builder will not demand more.
I assure you that I will never be hiring this man to do my porch-over.
Of course I doubt that he branches out this far anyway.
Dave Balderstone

In article , Mary Chan
wrote:

1.. Mr. Dillon extorted of 100% balance owing from customer without mutual
agreement that work was completed. The consumer is required by law to
withhold 10% payment for 45 days after completion of work.

Sounds like you acted foolishly, then.

JessicaG

1.. Mr. Dillon extorted of 100% balance owing from customer without
mutual
agreement that work was completed. The consumer is required by law to
withhold 10% payment for 45 days after completion of work.

Sounds like you acted foolishly, then.

I totally agree. I'm hoping Ms Chan will elaborate on Mr Dillon's supposed
extortion techniques.

Speaking of Mr Dillon, I was also wondering what his great-great-grandkids
are going to think of him when they google his name a 100 years from now and
find this damning post, assuming of course that 100 years from now...oh
nevermind ;-)

Mary Chan

Maybe now you can say I acted foolishly. Would you not pay Mr. Dillon and
his co-worker to get off your property if he was waving his fists at you and
your 18 month old son yelling: "I will no leave until I get full payment."

My intent of the post was to warn other of this type of behavior by
contractors so that other people does not have to be vitimized this way.

"JessicaG" wrote in message
. net...
1.. Mr. Dillon extorted of 100% balance owing from customer without
mutual
agreement that work was completed. The consumer is required by law to
withhold 10% payment for 45 days after completion of work.

Sounds like you acted foolishly, then.

I totally agree. I'm hoping Ms Chan will elaborate on Mr Dillon's supposed
extortion techniques.

Speaking of Mr Dillon, I was also wondering what his great-great-grandkids
are going to think of him when they google his name a 100 years from now
and find this damning post, assuming of course that 100 years from
now...oh nevermind ;-)

Dave Balderstone

In article , Mary Chan
wrote:

Would you not pay Mr. Dillon and
his co-worker to get off your property if he was waving his fists at you and
your 18 month old son yelling: "I will no leave until I get full payment."

If someone was on my property and behaving in a threatening manner I
would either retire to the house, lock the doors, and call the police,
or leave the property myself and call the police.
Al Bundy

"Mary Chan" wrote in message ...
Maybe now you can say I acted foolishly. Would you not pay Mr. Dillon and
his co-worker to get off your property if he was waving his fists at you and
your 18 month old son yelling: "I will no leave until I get full payment."

My intent of the post was to warn other of this type of behavior by
contractors so that other people does not have to be vitimized this way.

"JessicaG" wrote in message
. net...
1.. Mr. Dillon extorted of 100% balance owing from customer without
mutual
agreement that work was completed. The consumer is required by law to
withhold 10% payment for 45 days after completion of work.

Sounds like you acted foolishly, then.

I totally agree. I'm hoping Ms Chan will elaborate on Mr Dillon's supposed
extortion techniques.

Speaking of Mr Dillon, I was also wondering what his great-great-grandkids
are going to think of him when they google his name a 100 years from now
and find this damning post, assuming of course that 100 years from
now...oh nevermind ;-)

In the words of Mr. Chan, "All forgotten, like last year's bird's nest." (RAC)