Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Tony

Default Above-ground Stump removal ideas needed

I live near Pensacola, FL, and recently experienced Hurricane Ivan.
Fortunately my home had minor damage, but my yard which I had invested much
effort in landscaping these past few months has been decimated.

The biggest problem I face is figuring out the best way to handle the
removal of two root balls from trees uprooted by the storm. The smaller
root ball sits above the ground and is about 4' in diameter. The larger
root ball is about 6' in diameter. I have already cut up the trunk portion
of both trees.

I'm assuming that having the root balls lifted out of the yard by crane
would be very expensive. Having them dragged out by tractor or similar
device would likely damage a large portion of the yard (and the underground
sprinkler system). I could have them ground, but I'm not sure if it is
possible for a stump grinder to work on a root ball that sits totally about
ground and is laying on its side.

Can anyone suggest anything I could do to best remove these? I don't want
to take a chain saw to them because of the massive amount of clay-rich soil
embedded in the roots. I had contemplated using a hose to try and wash the
soil away from the rootball a bit at a time. I'm not sure if this would
really even be feasible, though.

Any suggestions on what to do with these would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

Roger

Can anyone suggest anything I could do to best remove these? I don't want
to take a chain saw to them because of the massive amount of clay-rich

soil
embedded in the roots. I had contemplated using a hose to try and wash

the
soil away from the rootball a bit at a time. I'm not sure if this would
really even be feasible, though.

If you or a friend has a power washer - or they can be rented, or bot from
from Home Depot for 100-150 bucks - you could blast the root ball and remove
much of the clay. Only need to remove enough clay to cut roots down to a
ball-shaped dense mass. Then try rolling it out of the yard, up a ramp, and
into a pickup.
Never done this - just an idea.

Robert Morein

In article ,
"Tony" wrote:

[...]

Gouge a hole in the center with a chainsaw (the bigger the better). Put
a bag of charcoal in it and light it. Should burn most of it.
PrecisionMachinisT

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

Bury them deeper than they was, and any luck at all, they will re-sprout and
a new tree will grow--depents a lot on the species and if there is suffient
starches in the rootball......you will know if you start getting suckers to
grow offa them as these will definately need trimmed if you only want a
single trunk....

Im a machinist by trade, and am a nurseryman as a hobby--to me the whole gig
reeks of possible opportunity...........anybody maybe need several hundred
rooted trees that do well in Florida ????

--

SVL

SteveB

I have done this twice, and it IS work, but it works. We have sandy soil in
Nevada where these trees were planted. We started digging them out by the
roots, and used a big shop vac to remove the dirt as we went. This way, you
could easily see the roots that were holding the thing. We cut those with a
sharp double bladed long handled axe. Any type of chainsaw or regular saw
dulls quickly. On one, we had a come along on it with a tight bind on it
because we couldn't get the truck close. On the other, we had a chain to a
four wheel drive truck. It was slow going, but in both cases at a time once
it started to move, it popped out from there, breaking the remaining roots
on its own.

Don't know if that would work with the type of soil you have. We had a
neighbor who suggested the water blaster idea, but decided we would soon
have a muddy moat. It was a chore, but they took only about three hours
each. One was a eucalyptus tree, and the other a chinaball. Both trunks
were about sixteen inches in diameter. If you haven't cut the main trunk
yet, leave it a little tall, and this will improve your pulling leverage.

HTH. There is no easy way to do it.

Steve

Oscar_Lives

How do you remove an underground stump?

PrecisionMachinisT

"Oscar_Lives" wrote in message

How do you remove an underground stump?

Hehe...

100 interesting and fun things to do with high nitrogen fertilizer.........

--

SVL

John Hines

"Oscar_Lives" wrote:

How do you remove an underground stump?

With a backhoe.
JerryMouse

Tony wrote:

The biggest problem I face is figuring out the best way to handle the
removal of two root balls from trees uprooted by the storm. The
smaller root ball sits above the ground and is about 4' in diameter. The
larger root ball is about 6' in diameter. I have already cut up
the trunk portion of both trees.

Is there some reason you can't blast 'em out?

Dynamite is easy to use. The guys who sell it can give you pointers.

Tony

"JerryMouse" wrote in message
Tony wrote:

The biggest problem I face is figuring out the best way to handle the
removal of two root balls from trees uprooted by the storm. The
smaller root ball sits above the ground and is about 4' in diameter. The
larger root ball is about 6' in diameter. I have already cut up
the trunk portion of both trees.

Is there some reason you can't blast 'em out?

Dynamite is easy to use. The guys who sell it can give you pointers.

Well, considering that one of the stumps is about 3' from my house, I'm a
bit tentative about using such extreme measures.

Tony

ameijers

Tony wrote:

The biggest problem I face is figuring out the best way to handle the
removal of two root balls from trees uprooted by the storm. The
smaller root ball sits above the ground and is about 4' in diameter.

The
larger root ball is about 6' in diameter. I have already cut up
the trunk portion of both trees.

Is there some reason you can't blast 'em out?

Dynamite is easy to use. The guys who sell it can give you pointers.

Well, considering that one of the stumps is about 3' from my house, I'm a
bit tentative about using such extreme measures.

Ignore Jerry, he thinks he is witty.

I take it you don't live in the kind of neighborhood where you can just drag
the rootballs to a disused corner of the lot, and leave them as habitat for
small creatures? All sorts of things would be very happy living in the nooks
and crannies. Failing that, simplest solution is to just clean out and
deepen the holes they came out of, and bury them. If planting replacement
trees makes that not an option, you are either facing a whole lot of manual
labor with shovel and ax and maul and wedges, or a decent sized check to
somebody with the equipment to get them out of there w/o trashing your lawn
and sprinklers and such. Dirty wood like that will kill a chainsaw quick,
and possibly you, too, from kickback when it jams. People who clear trees
for a living, when they can get away with it, dozer the root balls and other
chaff into bigass piles, soak with #2, and burn them. Unless you can leave
them sit till weather washes dirt off, chipper guy won't even want to touch
them- those dirt clods really cut blade life.

aem sends....

Alan Sung

"ameijers" wrote in message
People who clear trees
for a living, when they can get away with it, dozer the root balls and

other
chaff into bigass piles, soak with #2, and burn them. Unless you can leave
them sit till weather washes dirt off, chipper guy won't even want to

touch
them- those dirt clods really cut blade life.

That's not completely true. At a local golf course where they cleared some
woods, all of the stumps were taken out with an excavator and placed in a
huge pile. Then some special piece of machinery was brought in that looked
like a 10 foot diameter cylinder, maybe 8-10 feet high. Inside the cylinder
was a giant flail spinning at a high speed. The giant stumps were dropped in
and what came out of this machine was a nice steady stream of rich looking
soil. I think it was less than 30 seconds to reduce a stump of a 18"
diameter tree to 'nothing'.

-al sung

ameijers

"Alan Sung" wrote in message
"ameijers" wrote in message

(snip)
That's not completely true. At a local golf course where they cleared some
woods, all of the stumps were taken out with an excavator and placed in a
huge pile. Then some special piece of machinery was brought in that looked
like a 10 foot diameter cylinder, maybe 8-10 feet high. Inside the

cylinder
was a giant flail spinning at a high speed. The giant stumps were dropped

in
and what came out of this machine was a nice steady stream of rich looking
soil. I think it was less than 30 seconds to reduce a stump of a 18"
diameter tree to 'nothing'.

Wow- never seen that particular sort of device before. Sounds like a Tim
Taylor special. Guess things have progressed a little since I got an inside
job. Ordinary stump grinders and towed chippers for liftable chunks were all
I ever got to see close up, and both of those weren't that hard to jam.

aem sends...

Claudia

stump root balls NEVER roll cooperatively, unless it isn't necessary for
them too. think it is one of Murphy's laws.

--
Totus Tuus
Claudia (take out no spam to reply)
"Roger" wrote in message
Can anyone suggest anything I could do to best remove these? I don't

want
to take a chain saw to them because of the massive amount of clay-rich

soil
embedded in the roots. I had contemplated using a hose to try and wash

the
soil away from the rootball a bit at a time. I'm not sure if this would
really even be feasible, though.

If you or a friend has a power washer - or they can be rented, or bot from
from Home Depot for 100-150 bucks - you could blast the root ball and

remove
much of the clay. Only need to remove enough clay to cut roots down to a
ball-shaped dense mass. Then try rolling it out of the yard, up a ramp,

and
into a pickup.
Never done this - just an idea.

John Hines

"Alan Sung" wrote:

"ameijers" wrote in message
[...]

Drum grinders. Come in big and bigger sizes. They are what are used for
logging operations, and municipal yard waste recycling.

Amazing what you can find on the 'net, if you do a thorough search for
chipper/shredders. G

Beecrofter

"ameijers" wrote in message
[...]

Yeah it's called a tub grinder, make nice mulch.
Harry K

"Tony" wrote in message ...
[...]

I read through the thread and don't really see any suggestions that
you can use except for possibly burning. My approach would be a
comgination of some of them. Pressure washer to get as much dirt as
possible off, chain saw to cut them into chunks you can move.

No, cutting up the dirty root balls will not destroy your saw. It
will destroy your chain, bar, drive sprocket and possibly the clutch.
These are easily replaceable and not that expensive. Even just
pitching the saw away at the end of the job will be cheaper than any
other method (except burning) You will also be sharpening the chain
several times while working.

This is one of those jobs that will cost money (unless you can burn
them in place). Some jobs just can't be done 'on the cheap'.

Harry K
Charles H. Buchholtz

There's another approach which is easy, inexpensive, and won't damage
anything, but it does take a lot of time: rotting it out.

Wood will decompose into soil given four additional ingredients: air,
water, nitrogen, and bacteria.

Air: Expose as much of the stump as possible. Drill holes into it to
let air in.

Water: Water it frequently; try to keep it moist. If you can, rig up
a drip to keep it constantly moist. If possible, keep it out of the
sun so it won't dry out as quickly.

Nitrogen: Apply a high nitrogen fertilizer

Bacteria: Get some rotten leaves or soil (the stuff you scoop out of
your gutters is good), and spread it over the stump.

If you see mushrooms growing on and around the stump, and see grubs
burrowing in it, then you are doing it right. Fungi, insects, and
bacteria will all work to convert the wood back to soil.

If you keep a compost pile, start a new one on top of the stump.

It may take a year or more.

--- Chip

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 22:32:32 -0700, someone wrote:

Gouge a hole in the center with a chainsaw (the bigger the better). Put
a bag of charcoal in it and light it. Should burn most of it.

Are you claiming to have done this?

-v.

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 16:07:45 +0000 (UTC), someone wrote:

It may take a year or more.

Probably disqualifies that method, for this application.

He isn't covered by insurance for this???? (Unless it fell on the
house I suppose.)

Sounds like disaster cleanup to me.

-v.
Beecrofter

(Harry K) wrote in message . com...
"Tony" wrote in message ...
[...]

The only way I can think of doing it on the cheap is to dig a bigger
hole and roll them in. Let the termites take care of them.
default

The only way I can think of doing it on the cheap is to dig a bigger
hole and roll them in. Let the termites take care of them.

Hose them clean, varnish them, and sell them as art.

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:35:17 -0700, someone wrote:

In article ,
Gouge a hole in the center with a chainsaw (the bigger the better). Put
a bag of charcoal in it and light it. Should burn most of it.

Are you claiming to have done this?

no (although memory makes me think I've seen this done before), but does
that disqualify it from working?

It doesn't mean it WILL either. It shows me you that have no less
basis to think it will, then I have to think it won't be effective. I
do a lot of chainsaw work for a homeowner (rural property owner who
also has a number of business locations with trees). I have also
burned a lot of "brush" which around here includes what city folk
would call logs and stumps. A fresh stump doesn't burn very well. A
single big chunk of wood doesn't burn very well.

Have you done much chainsaw work? Because to "gouge a big hole" is
definitely NOT something easily done with a chainsaw, ESPECIALLY in a
stump. If it was that easy, he'd just cut up the stump in little
pieces and put them out with the trash, why bother with the hole. The
OP seems well aware of the problems of chain sawing a stump.

Your other idea I don't regard as useful input either - that either it
will or it won't work - so what - it won't help him if it won't.
Basically you have no clue again and are just guessing.

sorry.

-v.

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 01:57:15 -0500, someone wrote:

As has been discussed before, even talking with your insurance agent will
require him to register your conversation in a database used to raise
your premium. If you see your insurance agent walking down a street,
divert your eyes, walk in a different direction, and don't let him see
you.

I think that's crap in a case like this. This is mainly a worry for
people who have a history of numerous petty claims, like they are
"trying to get their money's worth" out of their insurance. Naturally
there will be some folks who claim its not their fault, they are not
like that, its just circumstances, and maybe some are right, but they
fit the pattern.

But THIS TIME there was a frickin' HURRICANE. Everybody's premiums in
the whole area are likely to be effected by such conditions, while
OTOH nobody in the area would not stand out merely for making an
inquiry.

In the age of computers, that insurance companies track each covered
premises, is fearful news only to superstitious homeowners. We
operate four commerial properties and it is routine that RFPs for
renewal quotes include a 3 year "loss run" (history) for each
location. A zero loss report or inquiry is just that, no loss. Not a
big deal. "Required to register" makes thing sound much more sinister
than they are. There is a 'file' on each property - so what - no
surprise there.

But as OP clarified, as the trees did not hit his house, they are
'merely' landscaping and not covered.

-v.
Lee

"Tony" wrote in message

I have come to the conclusion that no method of removal will be easy (or
even close).

Some folks have mentioned using homeowner's insurance to cover the cost of
removal. We're already contacted our insurance company. Since almost every
home in this area has some damage, we figure whether we make a claim or not
our rates are going to be affected. Unfortunately, insurance only covers
trees that have fallen on the house, and so since these trees did not hit
the house, that is not covered.

Tony

Tony, I so commiserate with the folks in the storm areas and know it
is not so simple; it looks like a job of mammoth proportions to get
everything back in order. Many of our people here in Texas have gone
to try to help, and would have gone with my daughter when she went
were i more able to be of help. About the only way i can help, and i
hope many of our friends will do so, is to help the Red Cross and or
the Salvation Army so they may be able to help with some of the
neccessities.

I hope that those who would price gouge for personal gain will suffer
a rotted scrotum. ...'scuse my profanity.
leo/lee

Happybattles

The only way I can think of doing it on the cheap is to dig a bigger
hole and roll them in. Let the termites take care of them.

Bad idea. Even if the main colony of termites doesn't attack his
house from where they are, the next swarm could put 10 colonies along
his stem wall, three inside and five at his neighbor's house. The
entire neighborhood will be panicked when they see termite alates
(queens and kings) on their windowsills both inside (some will get
lucky and fly in) and outside... and guess who they're going to blame
it on.

Dig up the root balls. Get what you can of the roots. Chop them up
with an axe (being sure not to hit any pvc pipe underground) and throw
them away.

alt.consumers.pest-control
Bill Seurer

v wrote:

Have you done much chainsaw work? Because to "gouge a big hole" is
definitely NOT something easily done with a chainsaw, ESPECIALLY in a
stump. If it was that easy, he'd just cut up the stump in little
pieces and put them out with the trash, why bother with the hole. The
OP seems well aware of the problems of chain sawing a stump.

It's also REALLY dangerous because to do a hole you're going to be using
the tip which you aren't supposed to do. Unless you enjoy chainsaws
bouncing into your face that is.
--

-Bill
Bruce Musgrove

Beg to differ. Case in point Farmer's insurance in exas in 2001-2002. The
majority of people had rates rise 75-150% for no claims at all. and a lot
even went up 200% for very small claims.

"v" wrote in message
[...]

Robert Morein

In article ,
(v) wrote:

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:35:17 -0700, someone wrote:

In article ,
Gouge a hole in the center with a chainsaw (the bigger the better). Put
a bag of charcoal in it and light it. Should burn most of it.

Are you claiming to have done this?

no (although memory makes me think I've seen this done before), but does
that disqualify it from working?

It doesn't mean it WILL either. It shows me you that have no less
basis to think it will, then I have to think it won't be effective. I
do a lot of chainsaw work for a homeowner (rural property owner who
also has a number of business locations with trees). I have also
burned a lot of "brush" which around here includes what city folk
would call logs and stumps. A fresh stump doesn't burn very well. A
single big chunk of wood doesn't burn very well.

Doesn't burn very well is not the same as doesn't burn at all. Which is
why I suggested starting with charcoal (I suppose you could even start
with coal.) Granted it might burn slowly but I'm not sure there was a
time constraint from the OP.

Have you done much chainsaw work?

Not lately.

Because to "gouge a big hole" is
definitely NOT something easily done with a chainsaw, ESPECIALLY in a
stump.

Okay so start with a little hole and take a little longer. Or start with
lots of little holes.

If it was that easy, he'd just cut up the stump in little
pieces and put them out with the trash, why bother with the hole.

I believe the issue was of ruining chain, blade, etc with dirt.

The OP seems well aware of the problems of chain sawing a stump.

Yes the OP seems quite well aware of the problems chain sawing a stump,
which is why I suggested he gouge a hole and burn it...I also suggested
that this might not be such a good idea when I learned the stump was 3
feet away from his house.

Your other idea I don't regard as useful input either - that either it
will or it won't work - so what - it won't help him if it won't.

And it will if it does.

Basically you have no clue again and are just guessing.

And that's a bad thing?

sorry.

-v.

In misc.consumers.house v wrote:
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 01:57:15 -0500, someone wrote:

As has been discussed before, even talking with your insurance agent will
require him to register your conversation in a database used to raise
your premium. If you see your insurance agent walking down a street,
divert your eyes, walk in a different direction, and don't let him see
you.

I think that's crap in a case like this.

Nope. Get a CLUE.

http://oci.wi.gov/pub_list/pi-207.htm

"C.L.U.E. reports indicate losses by type. Consumers should be aware that
contacting their company or their agent to discuss an actual loss might be
considered reporting a claim, even if the company does not end up making a
claim payment. This is because when a loss occurs, the policy requires the
company to take specific actions within specified time frames. Consumers
should be specific as to whether they are filing a claim or only making an
inquiry."

http://www.realestatejournal.com/buy...814-spors.html

"Many home insurers count inquiry calls -- calls in which homeowners simply
ask informally whether their policy will cover certain damages and are told
that it won't -- as unpaid losses."

S. M. Henning

Robert Morein responded to:

A fresh stump doesn't burn very well. A
single big chunk of wood doesn't burn very well.

Doesn't burn very well is not the same as doesn't burn at all. Which is
why I suggested starting with charcoal (I suppose you could even start
with coal.) Granted it might burn slowly but I'm not sure there was a
time constraint from the OP.

We burned a walnut tree stump. First we cut vertical slots down into
the stump with a chain saw so that it had a lot of grooves going down to
near the soil line. Then we started a fire with stove oil and it burned
down into the ground and into the roots. It smoldered for a couple
weeks before we put it out. We never guessed it would work so well. It
was in the fall and the stump was fairly fresh.

Another alternative is to give the stump away. We have people around
here that buy stumps to chop into hardwood mulch for nurserymen. So
perhaps you can find someone who wants the stump.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman