Robert Morein

In article ,
(v) wrote:

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 22:32:32 -0700, someone wrote:

Gouge a hole in the center with a chainsaw (the bigger the better). Put
a bag of charcoal in it and light it. Should burn most of it.

Are you claiming to have done this?

-v.

no (although memory makes me think I've seen this done before), but does
that disqualify it from working? of course I'd basically rescind this
advice as further info shows the stump to be three feet from the house.

You could make the best of this by (still) gouging out the center but
leaving a rim of three or four inches and then filling the gouge
(hopefully you've made it as deep as possible) with good soil and
planting either vegetables, flowers or even something like a grape vine
which could be trained to climb a trellis. This will either last a long
time or rot away in a few seasons and then you can start over until it
is gone or more easily managable.