Robert Morein

In article ,
(v) wrote:

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 14:35:17 -0700, someone wrote:

In article ,
Gouge a hole in the center with a chainsaw (the bigger the better). Put
a bag of charcoal in it and light it. Should burn most of it.

Are you claiming to have done this?

no (although memory makes me think I've seen this done before), but does
that disqualify it from working?

It doesn't mean it WILL either. It shows me you that have no less
basis to think it will, then I have to think it won't be effective. I
do a lot of chainsaw work for a homeowner (rural property owner who
also has a number of business locations with trees). I have also
burned a lot of "brush" which around here includes what city folk
would call logs and stumps. A fresh stump doesn't burn very well. A
single big chunk of wood doesn't burn very well.

Doesn't burn very well is not the same as doesn't burn at all. Which is
why I suggested starting with charcoal (I suppose you could even start
with coal.) Granted it might burn slowly but I'm not sure there was a
time constraint from the OP.

Have you done much chainsaw work?

Not lately.

Because to "gouge a big hole" is
definitely NOT something easily done with a chainsaw, ESPECIALLY in a
stump.

Okay so start with a little hole and take a little longer. Or start with
lots of little holes.

If it was that easy, he'd just cut up the stump in little
pieces and put them out with the trash, why bother with the hole.

I believe the issue was of ruining chain, blade, etc with dirt.

The OP seems well aware of the problems of chain sawing a stump.

Yes the OP seems quite well aware of the problems chain sawing a stump,
which is why I suggested he gouge a hole and burn it...I also suggested
that this might not be such a good idea when I learned the stump was 3
feet away from his house.

Your other idea I don't regard as useful input either - that either it
will or it won't work - so what - it won't help him if it won't.

And it will if it does.

Basically you have no clue again and are just guessing.

And that's a bad thing?

sorry.

-v.