Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Dave

Default Disabling Burglar/Fire Alarm

Hello,

I recently purchased a home with an older model Burglar/Fire Alarm
("Silent Knight" 4700 series). It's been basically turned off
("shunted") for a few years I believe, but it's still passively active
(if the power goes off for long periods of time and comes back on - it
will start alarming).

I've checked with a few alarm co's locally and most would rather sell
me a new alarm than come out and permanently disable this one. I
don't feel a need to have an alarm system and would just like to be
rid of this unit.

Does anyone have ideas on how this can be done? I know there is a
backup battery in a locked box for this alarm ( we weren't left the
key to this). Is this something an electrician needs to do? It looks
like it's wired directly into our electricity rather than a simple
outlet plug-in.

Also, if I try to drill out the lock on the alarm box, would this
possibly set off the alarm as well?

Any thoughts/ideas greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave
Dave C.

[...]

Have you labelled all the switches in your house electrical panel? See if
you can find one that (after being shut off for a while) causes the alarm
system to activate. While you are at it, explore the house to find out what
switch operates what. (and LABEL it) If you find the switch that appears
to cut off the alarm (triggers it when closed again), see if anything else
is on that circuit. If not, leave it off. If so, see if you can possibly
move whatever is "shared" to another circuit. -Dave

Punch

goto your alarm panel remove it completely, look for the siren in a duct
somewhere remove it, go down stairs to that electric locked box, drill out
the lock, cut the wires remove the box and whatever's inside.

now you should just have the wire going to your phone and the fuse panel,
remove the phone wires, follow them to the demarq jack and cut them off.

turn off the main power to the fuse panel trace the wires into it from the
locked box and remove them.

tada no worries of an alarm going of anymore.

Punch

"Dave" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Steve Smith

Punch wrote in message
. ..
goto your alarm panel remove it completely, look for the siren in a duct
somewhere remove it, go down stairs to that electric locked box, drill out
the lock, cut the wires remove the box and whatever's inside.

now you should just have the wire going to your phone and the fuse panel,
remove the phone wires, follow them to the demarq jack and cut them off.

turn off the main power to the fuse panel trace the wires into it from the
locked box and remove them.

And as for that locked box... Forget drilling, most I've seen can be
pried open with little difficulty.

--S

Rich Greenberg

In article ,
Punch wrote:

now you should just have the wire going to your phone and the fuse panel,
remove the phone wires, follow them to the demarq jack and cut them off.

If you follow this instruction literally, you will likely find that your
phone is dead. The better alarm systems are set up so that the phone
circut passes through the alarm box so that the alarm is able to seize
the line if it is offhook.

You will likely find that the phone line coming into the house is
connected to a pair going to the alarm box and another pair coming out
of the alarm box feeds the house. Disconnect the alarm wireing and feed
the incoming phone wires to the house circuts directly.

--
Rich Greenberg Work: Rich.Greenberg atsign worldspan.com + 1 770 563 6656
N6LRT Marietta, GA, USA Play: richgr atsign panix.com + 1 770 321 6507