barry martin

Default Alarm for burnt cooki

Hi KLM!

K Back to the smoke detector suggestions I believe there is a type which
K has a 'silencer' == when it goes off press the button which will shut
K the alarm off for a period of time. I think this type of smoke
K detector would work for you as an after-the-fact alarm: your food
K would still be burnt (or starting to) but the alarm would be sounding
K continously (resolved the "went outside for a while" problem), plus
K could be reset with a simple push of the button.
K Thinking from the viewpoint of an older habitually forgetful person,
K I'm not quite there yet but had grown up among many who were, the
K inherent safety feature MUST be automatic power shut off when left
K unattended. It should be manually reset. Noise alarms will work most
K of the time but with age comes detioration of hearing, slowness in
K realising a danger event and responding, and just plain panic.* It

Good points. Will admit to a limited thought process: thought this
was for you specifically, in a house. Didn't consider the residential
facility (and evacuation!). Plus the alarm would be ear-shattering
(especially is a hearing aid is used) -- that part may be solved with
a bit of tape over the alarm mechanism as a baffle. Again I'm thinking
more of a stand-alone house rather than multi-family facility.

K takes only one bad mistake to spell disaster. In the meantime a smoke
K detector sound alarm will still result in many charred and burnt meals
K along with the onerous cleanup tasks. This causes the elder to avoid
K cooking as much as possible.
snip
K There is one more design feature I would like to see on a stove. This
K is a means to mechanically lift the pot away from the heater element.
K Often one needs to do this to prevent boiling over, over cooking or
K just to move the pot out of the way. Old folks may lack the strength

Here's a thought: rather than moving the burning utensil cut the heat
source. Utensils come in a variety of sizes and weights (small
saucepan with a single handle to vessel to boil pasta in). Too many
mechanical variables, plus the senior would have to attach the device
correctly.

If the heat source was de-activated the burning would stop. (Well,
there are probably exceptions!) For the most part there are two fuel
sources: electricity (220v) and gas (natural, LP - others?) Electric
stove might be the easiest: detector senses smoke, disconnects power
source (relay?). OTOH electric elements cool slowly so the heat
removal is not instantaneous.

A gas stove has some sort of thermocouple mechanism for the broiler so
presume we could adapt this concept to the entire unit

K Anyway public washroom urinals have a proximity sensor powered by 2 AA
K cells. The sensor mechanically triggers a valve to activate the
K flush. A possibility here is to use the same electro-mechanical
K trigger to shut off the power to the stove when the cook moves away.
K I'll have to play around with one to figure out how it works and if
K this offers a solution.

A problem I see with this is how far away do we allow? In some ways
your concept of the person being in proximity makes more sense than
mine. Mine allows the person to walk away (go to the bathroom, answer
the telephone) and come back, but a disadvantage (?) is it kicks in
only after the fact (when smoke is detected). Your's is more
preventative but also more restrictive.

Also thinking there may be other problems with the detector. Would a
toaster trigger a false alarm condition? How about the microwave?
WOuld heat from the oven or even the stovetop allow the detector to
"think" the person was in the room when actually left? Please note
I'm not discounting your idea, just trying to pre-troubleshoot it.
(I'm sure my basic idea has a few dozen holes too!)

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* "He who laughs last laughs best." Disproved: Ed McMahon.
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *