Dave

Default Disabling Burglar/Fire Alarm

Hello,

I recently purchased a home with an older model Burglar/Fire Alarm
("Silent Knight" 4700 series). It's been basically turned off
("shunted") for a few years I believe, but it's still passively active
(if the power goes off for long periods of time and comes back on - it
will start alarming).

I've checked with a few alarm co's locally and most would rather sell
me a new alarm than come out and permanently disable this one. I
don't feel a need to have an alarm system and would just like to be
rid of this unit.

Does anyone have ideas on how this can be done? I know there is a
backup battery in a locked box for this alarm ( we weren't left the
key to this). Is this something an electrician needs to do? It looks
like it's wired directly into our electricity rather than a simple
outlet plug-in.

Also, if I try to drill out the lock on the alarm box, would this
possibly set off the alarm as well?

Any thoughts/ideas greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dave