Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

Default It lives! Was: Is A/C capacitor supposed to look like this?

brassplyer wrote:
Replaced both the fan cap and compressor cap and it's runnin' like a
champ now. The guy at the parts place put a meter on them and said the
fan cap was on its way out and the compressor cap was kaput. The shape
on the compressor cap is different - this one is oval, the old one was
cylindrical about like an old car coil. However the ratings are the
same and it appears to work.

Apparently it doesn't matter which side the connectors get attached
to? I.e. there's not a "pos" and "neg"? It seems to be running fine.

One thing that makes me curious - I noticed that even with both the
breaker for the A/C compressor on the main panel and the exterior
breaker at the compressor turned off, when I turned on the air
handler, the compressor relay switch still activated. I thought if the
breakers are off, it interrupted the circuit to the compressor and
nothing should get to any part of the unit?

Thanks again.

The 24 volts AC is coming from the furnace which is on a separate
circuit. From the furnace, the control voltage goes to the thermostat
then back to the furnace where control voltage is sent to the condensing
unit outside. It's not magic, it's all done with wires. 8-)

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

On May 4, 9:02*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Will you be using *a belt sander to clean the inside coils?
That's what professional idiots use. 60 grit open kote red
garnet is good.

Heck no, gonna fire up my trusty air chisel to really get those tough
deposits. If you're gonna do something, do it right I say.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

Default Is A/C capacitor supposed to look like this?

Alexander wrote:
EXT wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in
message ...
Guy at counter will ask for tax license, and proof of being
in the trade.

Don't know about trade shops in your neck of the world, but here, in
this economy, they don't care about who you are as long as you have
money to pay for the items. Regarding the tax, here it is a VAT tax
and they collect it from everybody, in or out the trade.

Lets just say that the Contractors Association got a wind of that and
92 contractors blackballed the vendor. Who would you rather have as a
customer? 92 Contractors that each purchase from $50k to $500K and
more per year or some dipstick that purchases a $15 dollar item once
every 10 years. Also many Vendors require Contractors to guarantee so
much $$$$ business per year to cover price fluxuations and amount of
on site inventory. Can you imagine the ;awsuit if that contract was
usurp by a mook off the street. The on street customers are ours and
not the vendors. If you want the prices and availability..Put 8 years
into becoming a contractor. You forgot Contractors excise tax by the
way. You can't pay that to the state each month without a license and
you are now well into the quasi-felony stage. You chumps that squeak
when you walk are fun to poke with sharp sticks.

Let's say a Contractors Association did exactly that.

In about five minutes they would be convicted of violating the Wright-Patman
Act: Conspiracy to Restrain Trade.

Off to the Federal Grey-Bar Hotel they would go. Hi-ho, Hi-ho, Hi-ho.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

HeyBub wrote:
Alexander wrote:
EXT wrote:
[...]

Sue away dumbass.. The Unions perfected that and that is the way
business is done. You have an absolute right to boycott anyone you
want. You may now kiss this contractors ass that has done just exactly
that with the association I belong to. Also the Realtors use that as a
bargaining chip for their advertising. I suggest you see if you can ****
with the Union contractors in any major city and see how long you stay
healthy. I understand they like to have their mobster friends lobby you.
Ever hear of the teamsters? ;-p You may now go **** yourself!

Off to the Federal Grey-Bar Hotel they would go. Hi-ho, Hi-ho, Hi-ho.

You sea lawyers all seem to live in Alt.HomeMoaners and we do make a lot
of money cleaning up the messes you make.. I for one of many always
charge a lot more when you ****ed it up before you call me. It is always
fun to see the look on your face when your missus gives a look of
disgust and say "my dumb **** Husband screwed it up again"! ;-p

Want to tell me that is illegal too. Too bad they can't outlaw mass
stupidity of your kind.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

Alexander wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Alexander wrote:
EXT wrote:
[...]

Hummmm, you sound like someone who owns or works for one of those big
union companies that belongs to all those associations that lobby for
all sorts of protectionist laws and regulations. Me and my friends are
just little small companies and our informal cooperative works very
simply. We pick up the phone and call each other for help. If we know
someone who's having a hard time like the old couple down the street
living on a fixed income, we little guys always seem to be able to
afford to help them out even though we don't own shiny new trucks and
have spiffy uniforms and spend thousands on TV advertising. Your big
overhead for all those union and association dues precludes that kind
of good neighbor altruism. I cringe when I hear those of your ilk brag
and laugh about selling someone a complete new system when all that was
wrong was a loose blower compartment door (it really happened). You may
find it interesting that the best advertising is treating someone right,
funny how that works, you wind up getting calls from all over the place
from people who hear that you will actually fix rather than replace
when possible. On more than one occasion, I've had someone tell me that
the big company from the TV with the shiny new trucks told them they
needed a new condensing unit when all that was needed was a new fan
motor. Sooner or later you'll wind up screwing the wrong person and I
suppose your union and associations will be there to bail you out.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

The Daring Dufas wrote:
Alexander wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Alexander wrote:
EXT wrote:
[...]

You don't have any friends// You post in the HomeMoaners groups.

are
just little small companies and our informal cooperative works very
simply. We pick up the phone and call each other for help.

Sure you do..

If we know
someone who's having a hard time like the old couple down the street
living on a fixed income, we little guys always seem to be able to
afford to help them out even though we don't own shiny new trucks and
have spiffy uniforms and spend thousands on TV advertising.

Now I know your a full of ****. When was the last time you dropped $15
grand on a "Habitat for Humanity Home"?

Your big
overhead for all those union and association dues precludes that kind
of good neighbor altruism. I cringe when I hear those of your ilk brag
and laugh about selling someone a complete new system

Actually you posted that a while back .. It is you that ripped someone
off and I believe Steve tasked you on that one!

Play your holier then thou bull**** over in Homeowners.. Not here.

when possible. On more than one occasion, I've had someone tell me that
the big company from the TV with the shiny new trucks told them they
needed a new condensing unit when all that was needed was a new fan
motor. Sooner or later you'll wind up screwing the wrong person and I
suppose your union and associations will be there to bail you out.

Is it true that you lost one liability carrier? I never have. My
business goes back to the beginning of AC. You been at this for 2 years now?

TDD

I own the company and I checked you out.. You are a hireling.. Now go
**** yourself. Why do all the legal know it alls never own anything, but
know everything? As for the bull**** you posted.. those are your words
not mine. Want to play lawyer.. Be careful where you smear businesses..
that can get another non sea lawyer up your fat whiny hired ass.

There is good reason you are calling yourself Dufas.. It really fits.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

On May 4, 8:07*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
That's the kind of ignorance that gets people hurt. "but I
thought...."

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"brassplyer" wrote in message

[...]

Glad you got it running again. The run caps are usually cheap enough
that, even if you are not able to test, replacing them is worth a
shot. All you care about are the specs on it. Any shape will do.
Occasionally you have to fiddle around with the bracket to get it
bolted back to the chassis. Nice you found a supply house that was
helpful even though I suspect it was easy to tell you are a
homeowner. The hvac trade is extremely anti-diy.

You missed the breaker that the 24v transformer for the thermostat is
on. The air handler starts the outside unit with a 24v ac supply to
that contactor, aka relay. Unlike electrolytic capacitors these
capacitors are not polarized so there are no positive or negative
terminals. This is an ac circuit not dc. That board with the
flashing led is the defrost board. It's not involved in the operation
when you are using the unit in the cooling mode. Steady flashing
usually means it is ok. When there is something wrong it will flash a
signal where you can use the number of flashes to look up different
problems. There should be a couple pages of spec sheets in an
envelope inside the uinit and the flash code is often on those.

A few units will have a pressure switch that prevents the compressor
from starting up if the unit has lost the refrigerant. Don't know if
this one does or not, it's not all that common.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

Alexander wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Alexander wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Alexander wrote:
EXT wrote:
[...]

Dufas is a proper name Alexander The Great and if anyone is overflowing
with excreta it is you. I've been at it for 35 years and have worked on
systems in places you will never be allowed to go. I'm glad to hear you
are a techosaurus who was around during the ice age and helped keep the
caves warm. I'm sure we could all learn a great deal from you about self
copulation.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

The Daring Dufas wrote:
Alexander wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Alexander wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Alexander wrote:
EXT wrote:
[...]

Naw.. You have proven that you know it all. My crews are out working and
you are setting on your dead ass praying for a call. Maybe we can
prevail on Stormy to upgrade your vast expertise. 35 years and still
working for others..that doesn't say much for you. I think you best
stick to posting in the HomeMoaners groups and stay away from the
professionals. If things get tough..Maybe Turtle will hire you.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Alexander wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Alexander wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Alexander wrote:
HeyBub wrote:
Alexander wrote:
EXT wrote:
[...]

You mean you're not self copulating? Gee whiz you're amazing you have a
crew to do it for you. I can't play anymore this morning, I have to go
check the other computer and of course you don't believe it but a lot
of my work is scheduled in advance. Got lots to do today, bye bye Ali.

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

Alexander wrote:

Sue away dumbass.. The Unions perfected that and that is the way
business is done. You have an absolute right to boycott anyone you
want. You may now kiss this contractors ass that has done just exactly
that with the association I belong to. Also the Realtors use that as a
bargaining chip for their advertising. I suggest you see if you can
**** with the Union contractors in any major city and see how long
you stay healthy. I understand they like to have their mobster
friends lobby you. Ever hear of the teamsters? ;-p You may now go
**** yourself!

I was wrong and you are correct. First, it was not Wright-Patman [really
ROBINSON-Patman] as I claimed, it is the Sherman Anti-Trust Act. You are
correct in that you can boycott anyone you like.

But you can't do it in concert with others.

Also, there's no suing involved. It's a criminal offense.

"Sec. 1. Every contract, combination in the form of trust or otherwise, or
conspiracy, in restraint of trade or commerce among the several States, or
with foreign nations, is hereby declared to be illegal. Every person who
shall make any such contract or engage in any such combination or
conspiracy, shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor, and, on conviction
thereof, shall be punished by fine not exceeding five thousand dollars, or
by imprisonment not exceeding one year, or by both said punishments, at the
discretion of the court."

I don't know too much about union "thugs." I live in a right-to-work state
and we don't have very many union members (5.1% compared to, say, New York
at 25%, or nationally 12%), let alone the sub-set of "thugs*."

As for "****ing with union contractors in any major city," I remind you that
I live in the only state with four cities having populations in excess of a
million residents (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, and Austin). Very little
construction is done with union contractors (There is, admittedly, some -
usually federal or federally-funded.)

-------
* If you subtract postal employees, teachers, and other government workers,
there are about 847 private union members in the state, mostly in UPS and
other teamster jobs.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

Mikepier wrote:

Congrats on fixing the unit yourself despite the sarcastic remarks
some of these idiots made.

That's what happens if you crosspost to alt.hvac.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

Default Is A/C capacitor supposed to look like this? ASK AN EXPERT

Looks like I'm jumping in at the end of a thread. Anyway, I have a 1991
Coleman Park model A/C unit.
Its about 3' X 3' X 18" high. It is mainly an AC unit but does have heat
strips for the "heat" function.

It started making a moaning sound (only at night in the COLD (near freezing)
weather) 2 yrs ago.
There was also the slight odor of hot/ melting plastic wire insulation.

A local guy that says he's an AC tech ( he s done several jobs in the
neighborhood) came by and said I needed a new motor..that would run about $
175-200 plus labor so maybe $ 250 and UP.

I decided to check the internet and to make a long story short, I found a
REAL AC expert on:

ALL EXPERTS http://en.allexperts.com/q/Heating-A...ditioning-696/

NOTE: This is NOT the FEE BASED 'Ask an Expert' type website(s)

There were several guys listed to select from, so I picked one, posted my
question and after 2-3 posts back and forth, in a couple of days, I had the
FIX.

It was a part called the (start) capacitor. It, like the whole unit was 18
years old. I pulled the old one (following the PROs instructions) found a
XREF to the part # ONLINE, the found a local supplier by a Google search. I
went to pick up the part but they had a minimum order of $ 5.00 Yes, the
part was under $ 5.00 so I had to buy TWO at $ 2.67 each. Went home, put
it in, gave the motor bearings some lube while I was in there and closed it
up.

Its been working fine now for 2 years.

New Motor $ 250 ? New Capacitor $ 2.67

ALL EXPERTS Priceless ! (No Charge, No FEE)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

"brassplyer" wrote in message
Replaced both the fan cap and compressor cap and it's runnin' like a
champ now. The guy at the parts place put a meter on them and said the
fan cap was on its way out and the compressor cap was kaput. The shape
on the compressor cap is different - this one is oval, the old one was
cylindrical about like an old car coil. However the ratings are the
same and it appears to work.

I would have gotten ones rated for 440 volts instead of 370 myself because
it leaves more headroom for power spikes and surges.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

HeyBub wrote:
Alexander wrote:

[...]

Texas eh? I owned a busness in Sherman that did business in Richardson,
Ft Worth, Dallas etc. We did no business that let schmucks off the
street purchase goods in our field. Can you name the Association our of
Ft Worth I belonged to. As a Sea Lawyer..You suck. The Antitrust law is
set up only for those that corner markets. Do you remember the
Spindletop scandal and John D Rockefeller? By the way smart ass, one Son
is a corporate Lawyer in Houston and the other in Austin. Both laughed
at your posting. You may now crawl back into your safe zone(massive
Ignorance).

-------
* If you subtract postal employees, teachers, and other government workers,
there are about 847 private union members in the state, mostly in UPS and
other teamster jobs.

You are obviously not aware of Commercial and Industrial contractors in
Texas..Right off hand I can count well over a hundred that are Union.
Are you still showing up at your social worker, barefooted and with lice?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

The King wrote:
On Tue, 4 May 2010 21:01:21 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

I'm a professional idiot.

Its about time you were honest about yourself.

It would really be nice if you deleted the bull**** groups and stayed
with alt.hvac.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

The King wrote:

wrote:

I'm a professional idiot.
Its about time you were honest about yourself.

It would really be nice if you deleted the bull**** groups and stayed
with alt.hvac.

Do as i say not as i do is your moto isnt it. **** off.

Gee, that really hurt my feelings. **** me off and I will turn the
Mormon loose on you.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

At your service, O great one. May you live forever.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Alexander" wrote in message

Do as i say not as i do is your moto isnt it. **** off.

Gee, that really hurt my feelings. **** me off and I will
turn the
Mormon loose on you.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

Stormin Mormon wrote:
At your service, O great one. May you live forever.

Don't encourage the incorrigible, he thrives on it.
He might run a background check on you. ROTFLMAO

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

The Daring Dufas wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
At your service, O great one. May you live forever.

Don't encourage the incorrigible, he thrives on it.
He might run a background check on you. ROTFLMAO

TDD

Apparently that makes you nervous. Something to hide, Dufas?
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

Alexander wrote:
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Stormin Mormon wrote:
At your service, O great one. May you live forever.

Don't encourage the incorrigible, he thrives on it.
He might run a background check on you. ROTFLMAO

TDD

Apparently that makes you nervous. Something to hide, Dufas?

No, it doesn't because I've had background checks run on me
by the feds so I could get into places that you will never be
allowed to go. I also know how to avoid creating data trails
and I can guarantee that you can not find any information on
me. Don't waste your time trying. ROTFL

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

On May 4, 7:07*pm, Alexander wrote:

I would
suppose that your first question would be who can I get that will work
at minimum wage or do you know any illegals that will do this?

As it turns out, I found someone to do the job for free. Me.

:-)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

On May 4, 9:16*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

Good for you trying to learn about the equipment that runs your
home. Here's a link to a site with a lot of information about
how your HVAC system works and repair procedures.

http://www.toad.net/~jsmeenen/

I appreciate the info, thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

Eek! The thought! He might find out that it's on my
Permanant Record that I was throwing food in the cafeteria
in 4th grade. That's the kind of thing that could prevent me
from ever getting a job.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote
in message ...
Stormin Mormon wrote:
At your service, O great one. May you live forever.

Don't encourage the incorrigible, he thrives on it.
He might run a background check on you. ROTFLMAO

TDD

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

I suspect the Great and Daring Dufas has a long and
incorrigible history of getting caught at Lookout Point with
babes, and his Permanant Record probably shows that he's
cheated on a test in third grade.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Alexander" wrote in message
The Daring Dufas wrote:
Don't encourage the incorrigible, he thrives on it.
He might run a background check on you. ROTFLMAO

TDD

Apparently that makes you nervous. Something to hide, Dufas?

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

and that's on your business card

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I'm a professional idiot. Sarcastic comments are included in
my job description.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Mikepier" wrote in message

Congrats on fixing the unit yourself despite the sarcastic
remarks
some of these idiots made.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

And my yellow page ad, but you'd never know that.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Real ****er" wrote in message
and that's on your business card

"Stormin Mormon" wrote
in message
I'm a professional idiot. Sarcastic comments are included
in
my job description.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

The King wrote:

wrote:

I'm a professional idiot.
Its about time you were honest about yourself.
It would really be nice if you deleted the bull**** groups and stayed
with alt.hvac.
Do as i say not as i do is your moto isnt it. **** off.

Gee, that really hurt my feelings. **** me off and I will turn the
Mormon loose on you.

Cruel and unusual to be sure.

What can I say? Sometimes I just go too far.