Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,alt.hvac

Default Is A/C capacitor supposed to look like this? ASK AN EXPERT

On May 6, 3:05*pm, "Rudy" wrote:
Looks like I'm jumping in at the end of a thread. *Anyway, I have a 1991
Coleman Park model A/C unit.
Its about 3' X 3' X 18" high. *It is mainly an AC unit but does have heat
strips for the "heat" function.

It started making a moaning sound (only at night in the COLD (near freezing)
weather) *2 yrs ago.
There was also the slight odor of hot/ melting plastic *wire insulation..

A local guy that says he's an AC tech *( he s done several jobs in the
neighborhood) came by and said I needed a new motor..that would run about $
175-200 plus labor so maybe $ 250 and UP.

I decided to check the internet and to make a long story short, I found a
REAL *AC expert on:

ALL EXPERTS *http://en.allexperts.com/q/Heating-A...ditioning-696/

NOTE: * * * This is NOT the FEE BASED * 'Ask an Expert' type website(s)

There were several guys listed to select from, so I picked one, posted my
question and after 2-3 posts back and forth, in a couple of days, I had the
FIX.

It was a part called the (start) capacitor. *It, like the whole unit was 18
years old. *I pulled the old one (following the PROs instructions) *found a
XREF to the part # ONLINE, the found a local supplier by a Google search. *I
went to pick up the part but they had a minimum order of $ 5.00 *Yes, the
part was under $ 5.00 *so I had to buy TWO at $ 2.67 each. *Went home, put
it in, gave the motor bearings some lube while I was in there and closed it
up.

Its been working fine now for 2 years.

New Motor *$ 250 ? *New Capacitor *$ 2.67

ALL EXPERTS * *Priceless ! * * * * * * * * * * * * * *(No Charge, No FEE)

SPAM