Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house

Default Anyone else seeing mystery phone numbers on Embarq long distancebill?

Repeating to add misc.consumers.house

I have a local/long dist/DSL package with Embarq & noticed a couple of
calls on my long distance bill that I know I didn't make. It's an
unlisted number in a state where I don't know anyone, haven't had any
occasion to have any business dealings. The reason I noticed this is
that I make very few l/d calls and suddenly there was a larger amount
under the l/d than normal.

I called Embarq to advise them, and they said as I expected that "on
their records it looks like I made the calls" but as a one-time
courtesy they'll credit my account for the amount.

I went back several months online and didn't find any other mystery
calls but something else I didn't notice before is that they weren't
printing details of l/d calls on my bill. It refers me to the website
for details of the calls. When I asked about this, they said okay
they'd start printing my l/d details on the bill. This is the first
company I've dealt with that didn't do this by default. They do print
intrastate l/d calls by default. I asked if he knew why, he said it
was a cost-saving measure. When you do go to the online bill, they've
got it buried under several layers to finally see the phone number
which you have to go through every time you switch to view a different
billing period.

So either someone somehow made calls on my line or there's some issue
with their billing mis-assigning l/d charges to the wrong bill.
Wondering how the former would be accomplished, or if anyone has had
problems with the latter.