Posted to alt.home.repair

Default V-Tech cordless phone mystery

Have you ever had a case where you''re dying to figure out why you
can't get something to work any more? I have two V-Tech cordless
phones, both of which are in that category. The charging light blinks
continuously (on BOTH phones) but no dial tone. So I replaced the
battery on ONE phone; did the reset thing; still no dial tone. (using
a phone line that tests OK on other phones)

Refuse to invest in another battery for the 2nd phone until I know for
certain that's the kicker.

Any suggestions?

digger

Posted to alt.home.repair

digger odell wrote:
Have you ever had a case where you''re dying to figure out why you
can't get something to work any more? I have two V-Tech cordless
phones, both of which are in that category. The charging light blinks
continuously (on BOTH phones) but no dial tone. So I replaced the
battery on ONE phone; did the reset thing; still no dial tone. (using
a phone line that tests OK on other phones)

Refuse to invest in another battery for the 2nd phone until I know for
certain that's the kicker.

Any suggestions?

digger

Hi,
It maybe a problem with base unit not with handsets.
Now latest is DECT cordless phones.
Posted to alt.home.repair

digger odell wrote:
Have you ever had a case where you''re dying to figure out why you
can't get something to work any more? I have two V-Tech cordless
phones, both of which are in that category. The charging light blinks
continuously (on BOTH phones) but no dial tone. So I replaced the
battery on ONE phone; did the reset thing; still no dial tone. (using
a phone line that tests OK on other phones)

Refuse to invest in another battery for the 2nd phone until I know for
certain that's the kicker.

Any suggestions?

digger

Did you measure the battery voltage while it is installed? If it is
much below the rated voltage, you can pretty well be assured that is a
problem.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 07:18:08 -0800 (PST), digger odell
wrote:

Have you ever had a case where you''re dying to figure out why you
can't get something to work any more? I have two V-Tech cordless
phones, both of which are in that category. The charging light blinks
continuously (on BOTH phones) but no dial tone. So I replaced the
battery on ONE phone; did the reset thing; still no dial tone. (using
a phone line that tests OK on other phones)

Refuse to invest in another battery for the 2nd phone until I know for
certain that's the kicker.

Any suggestions?

The phone could be broken. I have a set of 3 V-tech phones and bases
and chargers which someone sold me for 1 or 2 dollars. All I hoped to
get was one phone and two base stations. I forget the details but if
I had gotten that, I'd be using them now.

Is V-tech thought to be a good brand. My only experience is with
these 3 broken ones.

digger

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 29, 10:50 am, Ken wrote:
digger odell wrote:
Have you ever had a case where you''re dying to figure out why you
can't get something to work any more? I have two V-Tech cordless
phones, both of which are in that category. The charging light blinks
continuously (on BOTH phones) but no dial tone. So I replaced the
battery on ONE phone; did the reset thing; still no dial tone. (using
a phone line that tests OK on other phones)

Refuse to invest in another battery for the 2nd phone until I know for
certain that's the kicker.

Any suggestions?

digger

Did you measure the battery voltage while it is installed? If it is
much below the rated voltage, you can pretty well be assured that is a
problem.

The position of the battery contacts prevent taking a voltage
measurement. However, your suggestion did trigger a thought that
perhaps the battery wasn't pressing securely on the contacts. So on
top of the battery I folded a small strip of toiler paper (symbolizing
my feeling toward the annoyances). thereby forcing the battery to
press more securely. VOILA! The phone is now operational!!!

THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO KEEP ME ON TASK !!!

DIGGER

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 29, 11:06*am, digger odell wrote:
On Feb 29, 10:50 am, Ken wrote:

digger odell wrote:
[...]

DIGGER- Hide quoted text -

Use a pencil eraser to clean the contacts
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

digger- Hide quoted text -

Is V-tech thought to be a good brand.

Bought a 4-handset package a year ago. No complaints yet.

BTW - Best Buy charged the same price for the 3-handset package as
BJ's charged for the 4-handset package - Buy 3, get 1 free!
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 09:37:19 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Is V-tech thought to be a good brand.

Bought a 4-handset package a year ago. No complaints yet.

I don't know how old these are.

BTW - Best Buy charged the same price for the 3-handset package as
BJ's charged for the 4-handset package - Buy 3,

Good to know. OTOH Best Buy charges 20 dollars for a 2 Gig Sandisk
flashdrive, and every place else seems to charge 25 to 30. Don't know
abou BJ's.

This one comes with some special flashdrive software, u3, that I don't
understand, but it allows one to run software right off the flashdrive
with no installation to the computer. If I get it working it would be
good to take my pictures and a slideshow program when I visit family
out of town. 2 gig has plenty of room. I unzipped the file that
was in there, but I don't have XP so I can't test any further.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

Is V-tech thought to be a good brand.

Bought a 4-handset package a year ago. No complaints yet.

I don't know how old these are.

I meant: I don't know how old mine are, the broken ones.

BTW - Best Buy charged the same price for the 3-handset package as
BJ's charged for the 4-handset package - Buy 3,

Good to know. OTOH Best Buy charges 20 dollars for a 2 Gig Sandisk
flashdrive, and every place else seems to charge 25 to 30. Don't know
abou BJ's.

This one comes with some special flashdrive software, u3, that I don't
understand, but it allows one to run software right off the flashdrive
with no installation to the computer. If I get it working it would be
good to take my pictures and a slideshow program when I visit family
out of town. 2 gig has plenty of room. I unzipped the file that
was in there, but I don't have XP so I can't test any further.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Have you ever had a case where you''re dying to figure out why you
can't get something to work any more? I have two V-Tech cordless
phones, both of which are in that category. The charging light blinks
continuously (on BOTH phones) but no dial tone. So I replaced the
battery on ONE phone; did the reset thing; still no dial tone. (using
a phone line that tests OK on other phones)

Refuse to invest in another battery for the 2nd phone until I know for
certain that's the kicker.

Any suggestions?

digger

Throw it out & buy a decent phone.
Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant.
Speak softly and carry a loaded .45
Lifetime member; Vast Right Wing Conspiricy
Web Site: www.destarr.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
digger odell wrote:

Any suggestions?

Connect a KNOWN GOOD phone to the base cord that is (was?) feeding the
cordless base station. It's quite possible that the cord is defective. Good
luck.
--

JR

No project too small
All projects too big
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article wQVxj.17484$w94.12080@pd7urf2no, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Now latest is DECT cordless phones.

And they work GREAT!!

Probably close to a year ago I bought a four-handset, Panasonic system at
Sam's Club for just under $100.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...elephones/Expa
ndable-Systems/model.KX-TG1034S_11002_7000000000000005702

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KX-T...andsets/dp/B00
0LYCUF8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=12043275 20&sr=8-2
--

JR
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Feb 29, 6:24 pm, Jim Redelfs wrote:
In article
,
digger odell wrote:

Any suggestions?

Connect a KNOWN GOOD phone to the base cord that is (was?) feeding the
cordless base station. It's quite possible that the cord is defective. Good
luck.
--

JR

No project too small
All projects too big

In my OP, I did indicate that this step was covered ...

continuously (on BOTH phones) but no dial tone. So I replaced the
battery on ONE phone; did the reset thing; still no dial tone. (using
a phone line that tests OK on other phones)

On the other hand, I neglected to mention that I ALSO used a pencil
eraser on the contact points, as recommended by V-Tech. What finally
did work was the step reported in my above posting (#5).

Cordless Phone Battery & V-Tech ? Robert11 Home Repair 8 March 11th 07 12:45 AM
Cordless Phone Kathy Home Repair 11 March 10th 05 02:40 PM
cordless phone help al Electronics Repair 1 October 15th 04 01:21 PM
AT&T cordless phone klingon Electronics Repair 1 August 27th 04 04:20 AM
cordless phone yuvaraj Home Ownership 4 November 30th 03 01:25 PM