Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Replacing Bathroom Ceiling Fan/light on bottom floor

Folks,
It was easy for me to replace the ceiling fan/light in the upstairs
bathroom as I could attack if from the attic, where everything was right
there and open for me. I now would like to do the same with the ceiling
fan/light in the downstairs bathroom (1st floor), but my problem is that I
don't have the handy attic to get at it from. I took off the cover from
the existing light/fan, and I see the box, which is about the same size as
the hole cut in the wallboard ceiling. I just do not see how I can get
the box out without ripping apart the ceiling. I would really like to be
able to do this without messing with the ceiling wall if I can.

What to do? Has anyone done this and what was your strategy?
Thanks for any help here,
Tomes

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article . net,
Tomes wrote:
Folks,
It was easy for me to replace the ceiling fan/light in the upstairs
bathroom as I could attack if from the attic, where everything was right
there and open for me. I now would like to do the same with the ceiling
fan/light in the downstairs bathroom (1st floor), but my problem is that I
don't have the handy attic to get at it from. I took off the cover from
the existing light/fan, and I see the box, which is about the same size as
the hole cut in the wallboard ceiling. I just do not see how I can get
the box out without ripping apart the ceiling. I would really like to be
able to do this without messing with the ceiling wall if I can.

Why do you think you need to get the box out of the ceiling? You should
be able to just remove the screws holding it onto the box. This should
allow the fan/light to drop down enough that you can get to the wireing.
Disconnect it, remove, install new one in the reverse of removal.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
(Rich Greenberg) wrote:

In article . net,
Tomes wrote:
[...]

One issue to consider is if the box was reinforced for a ceiling
fan. If there was a fan there before, and it was installed up
to code, then you should be good to go. In that case, Rich's
advice is a good as gold...you should be able to make the swap-
a-roo without any cutting into the ceiling.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708

Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"John A. Weeks III" ...
Rich Greenberg:
Tomes :
[...]

So the advice here is to just replace the guts inside the box and not use
the new box that comes with the new assembly. Hmmm. I am thinking that
the new stuff really wants to use the new box as it is already all put
together and all. I'll take another look at the stuff and consider this.
Thanks for a thought that I had not considered yet.
Tomes

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"krw" ...
[...]

Sure, I've done it. You start by ripping the ceiling out. ;-)

I ended up having to take about a 12"x12" piece out because the power
entered at the opposite end of the new fan, so had to make the hole
portable. ;-) I also had to knock a 6"x6" hole near the wall so I
could get at the wall vent (where the problem started). That's the
nice thing about sheetrock. It's easy to patch, particularly small
holes like this.

My last resort. Thanks for sharing the experience, much appreciated
Keith.
Tomes

Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article . net,
Tomes wrote:

So the advice here is to just replace the guts inside the box and not use
the new box that comes with the new assembly. Hmmm. I am thinking that
the new stuff really wants to use the new box as it is already all put
together and all. I'll take another look at the stuff and consider this.
Thanks for a thought that I had not considered yet.

The reason it comes complete with a box is to allow for the same
fan/light package to be used in both new and replacement installations.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L
Retired at the beach Asst Owner:Sibernet-L
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Rich Greenberg wrote:
In article . net,
Tomes wrote:
Folks,
It was easy for me to replace the ceiling fan/light in the upstairs
bathroom as I could attack if from the attic, where everything was right
there and open for me. I now would like to do the same with the ceiling
fan/light in the downstairs bathroom (1st floor), but my problem is that I

Why do you think you need to get the box out of the ceiling? You should
be able to just remove the screws holding it onto the box. This should
allow the fan/light to drop down enough that you can get to the wireing.
Disconnect it, remove, install new one in the reverse of removal.

Note he's talking about a bathroom fan/light unit. I would assume this
is the sort of fan that is *inside* the ceiling, not hanging down as you
seem to be thinking. The whole unit is an approximately 12" X 12" metal
box mounted behind the wallboard with a plastic or metal faceplate with
vent slots and a lens for the light.

I would start by cutting the wallboard around the old unit to get maybe
a 1/4" clearance all around. Make sure the power is off, then unscrew
the mounting screws or use a reciprocating saw to cut the nails holding
it to the rafters. Then pull it out. If the new unit is the same size
the new faceplate should cover the 1/4" gap around the edges. I did
this is an old bathroom once.

On the other hand, cutting out to the full width between rafters and
a few inches on either side gives you an easy patch job with the rafters
being available to attach the new wallboard to.

I've also replaced the guts of an old fan unit with the new one, but
it has to be the same make and model to work.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"krw" ...
Rich Greenberg :

snip

I would start by cutting the wallboard around the old unit to get maybe
a 1/4" clearance all around. Make sure the power is off, then unscrew
the mounting screws or use a reciprocating saw to cut the nails holding
it to the rafters. Then pull it out. If the new unit is the same size
the new faceplate should cover the 1/4" gap around the edges. I did
this is an old bathroom once.

Take a Dremmel tool to the nail heads if they can't be pulled from
inside the box.

On the other hand, cutting out to the full width between rafters and
a few inches on either side gives you an easy patch job with the
rafters
being available to attach the new wallboard to.

Yes, or one can just put some 1x's behind the wallboard patch.

I've also replaced the guts of an old fan unit with the new one, but
it has to be the same make and model to work.

Which might be hard to come by several years later.

Thanks guys. Yep, this is the type of fixture I am talking about.
Getting the nails out was my big concern here. Using the dremel or a thin
bladed say to cut the nails is what I will try. It ought to just drop
down then - or actually slide sideways first to disconnect the duct.
Hmmm - I might need to cut a bit for the duct flange? Bummer that then.
Thanks a heap!
Tomes

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Rich Greenberg" ...
Tomes :

So the advice here is to just replace the guts inside the box and not
use
the new box that comes with the new assembly. Hmmm. I am thinking that
the new stuff really wants to use the new box as it is already all put
together and all. I'll take another look at the stuff and consider
this.
Thanks for a thought that I had not considered yet.

The reason it comes complete with a box is to allow for the same
fan/light package to be used in both new and replacement installations.

I see our disconnect here. You are envisioning a light/fan that is in a
regular room. I mean one that is in the bathroom with an exhaust fan.
Thanks anyway, Rich, much appreciated.
Tomes

Posted to misc.consumers.house
krw krw is offline

In article . net,
says...
"krw" ...
Rich Greenberg :

snip

[...]

Shouldn't have to. You should be able to just turn it in the ceiling
cavity and pull it through. If I hadn't had to move the electric
line I might have gotten away without cutting sheetrock, though as I
said I had to cut a 6"x6" hole by the wall anyway.

--
Keith
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"krw" ...
Tomes...
"krw" ...
Rich Greenberg :

snip

[...]

Cool, thanks. We will see how this goes this weekend.
Tomes

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Jul 9, 4:23 pm, "Tomes" wrote:
Folks,
It was easy for me to replace the ceiling fan/light in the upstairs
bathroom as I could attack if from the attic, where everything was right
there and open for me. I now would like to do the same with the ceiling
fan/light in the downstairs bathroom (1st floor), but my problem is that I
don't have the handy attic to get at it from. I took off the cover from
the existing light/fan, and I see the box, which is about the same size as
the hole cut in the wallboard ceiling. I just do not see how I can get
the box out without ripping apart the ceiling. I would really like to be
able to do this without messing with the ceiling wall if I can.

What to do? Has anyone done this and what was your strategy?
Thanks for any help here,
Tomes

Not too long ago, home equity loans were almost non-existent.
Homestead laws and banking regulations made it difficult for lenders
to make a loan against a family home. With the relaxing of
underwriting requirements and changes in the law, more lenders are
offering loans against accumulated home equity. There's a lot of
choices out there when it comes to these loans, as well as a lot of
confusion. I've started a new blog called "What you need to know about
home equity loans - a consumer guide" on blogger at
http://home-equity-loan-information.blogspot.com/. I'd appreciate some
feedback and I hope it will be of some benefit to those contemplating
a home equity loan.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"GoodRead" ...
[...]

spam site snipped I'd appreciate some
feedback and I hope it will be of some benefit to those contemplating
a home equity loan.

Well that sure helps me out with my issue.....
Tomes

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Tomes" ...
"krw" ...
Tomes...
"krw" ...

[...]

OK folks, I thought that I would close this story as I finished the job
today and it turned out to be easy once I knew the trick. Maybe someone
else can use this experience. I replaced the old box with the new box and
the ceiling never knew anything happened.

Getting the old box out entailed using a hacksaw that had a pistol grip
(something I picked up in a garage sale long ago and finally had the
perfect use for). It enabled that thin blade to get up between the box
and the wall that it was nailed onto. I sawed off the 4 nails which were
on the tabs outside of the box (and unapproachable any other way) that
way. Box got loose.

Then just moving it around up there was all it took to remove the duct and
the wires. Then it angled out of the hole. Installing the new box was
then easy enough, as it too angled up into the hole with no new cutting
required. It came with holes in the sidewall of the box so a couple of
screws through those holes is now holding it in place really well.

Light looks good up there now, brighter and the fan sucks better too. The
ceiling is unmolested. All is well in that part of the world.
Tomes

Posted to misc.consumers.house
z z is offline

On Jul 20, 12:54 am, "Tomes" wrote:
"Tomes" ...

"krw" ...
Tomes...
"krw" ...

[...]

Tomes- Hide quoted text -

But why would you install a ceiling fan on the floor? (^_^)