Posted to misc.consumers.house
Tomes Tomes is offline

Default Replacing Bathroom Ceiling Fan/light on bottom floor

"krw" ...
Tomes...
Folks,
It was easy for me to replace the ceiling fan/light in the upstairs
bathroom as I could attack if from the attic, where everything was
right
there and open for me. I now would like to do the same with the
ceiling
fan/light in the downstairs bathroom (1st floor), but my problem is
that I
don't have the handy attic to get at it from. I took off the cover
from
the existing light/fan, and I see the box, which is about the same size
as
the hole cut in the wallboard ceiling. I just do not see how I can get
the box out without ripping apart the ceiling. I would really like to
be
able to do this without messing with the ceiling wall if I can.

What to do? Has anyone done this and what was your strategy?

Sure, I've done it. You start by ripping the ceiling out. ;-)

I ended up having to take about a 12"x12" piece out because the power
entered at the opposite end of the new fan, so had to make the hole
portable. ;-) I also had to knock a 6"x6" hole near the wall so I
could get at the wall vent (where the problem started). That's the
nice thing about sheetrock. It's easy to patch, particularly small
holes like this.

My last resort. Thanks for sharing the experience, much appreciated
Keith.
Tomes