Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing a ceiling light

Hi all

Sorry to sound such a div, but I've got a simple wiring problem. I'm
replacing a ceiling light. There are 2 cables coming out of the
ceiling, that originally went into a ceiling rose terminal block (I
didn't make a not of how this was wired!). One cable has four wires
(red, blue, yellow, and one "naked"). The other cable has red L,
black
N and green/yellow E.

How do I connect these to the new light fittings, which has just 2
Live and Neutral connectors?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On 11 Apr 2007 12:20:29 -0700, "Mando" wrote:

Hi all

Sorry to sound such a div, but I've got a simple wiring problem. I'm
replacing a ceiling light. There are 2 cables coming out of the
ceiling, that originally went into a ceiling rose terminal block (I
didn't make a not of how this was wired!). One cable has four wires
(red, blue, yellow, and one "naked"). The other cable has red L,
black
N and green/yellow E.

I'm very confused.

What country are you in?

What do L, N, and E mean, in "red L, black N and green/yellow E."

BTW, what's a div?

How do I connect these to the new light fittings, which has just 2
Live and Neutral connectors?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:

On 11 Apr 2007 12:20:29 -0700, "Mando" wrote:

Hi all

Sorry to sound such a div, but I've got a simple wiring problem. I'm
replacing a ceiling light. There are 2 cables coming out of the
ceiling, that originally went into a ceiling rose terminal block

I'm trying to picture what a "rose" terminal block looks like...I'm
guessing it's got terminal screws aranged around the periphery of a
circle maybe?
(I
didn't make a not of how this was wired!). One cable has four wires
(red, blue, yellow, and one "naked"). The other cable has red L,
black
N and green/yellow E.

I'm very confused.

What country are you in?

What do L, N, and E mean, in "red L, black N and green/yellow E."

I'm guessing they are "Line", "Neutral" and "Earth" (ground), so the
OP's probably not a "Born in the USA" guy.

BTW, what's a div?

Found it he

http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/d.htm

How do I connect these to the new light fittings, which has just 2
Live and Neutral connectors?

Two of EACH or just TWO? G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair
sym sym is offline

On Apr 11, 5:38 pm, Jeff Wisnia wrote:
mm wrote:
[...]

Paul- Hide quoted text -

L=line (hot)
N=nuetral
E= ground
the wires red blue yellow seem odd
E would get the nekkid wire
i would guess yellow gets N
the red or blue to L
find your swith and look at the wires in there and see how its wired
and if that same red blue yellow wire originates there.
it sounds like it was wired for a fan lite unit, if that be the
caseyou could use either for your L.

Posted to alt.home.repair
sym sym is offline

On Apr 11, 3:46 pm, mm wrote:
[...]

after rereading your post i realize you have an old three way system
somehow i missed the second cable are there two switches controling
this light? if so pull out both swithches look for common printed on
the switch newer switches have one screw that is differnt color (not
green) that is common. common wire is either your hot wire or the
swith leg so if yellow is common then it goes to black fixture wire
white to wghite fixture wire red to red ,black to blue but you need to
check those swithes

Posted to alt.home.repair
sym sym is offline

On Apr 11, 3:20 pm, "Mando" wrote:
Hi all

Sorry to sound such a div, but I've got a simple wiring problem. I'm
replacing a ceiling light. There are 2 cables coming out of the
ceiling, that originally went into a ceiling rose terminal block (I
didn't make a not of how this was wired!). One cable has four wires
(red, blue, yellow, and one "naked"). The other cable has red L,
black
N and green/yellow E.

How do I connect these to the new light fittings, which has just 2
Live and Neutral connectors?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

ok i was wrong not a fan lite , sounds like old style 3 way system.
are there 2 swithes that control the light? if so pull them out there
should be two screws the same color for your dummy wires, one green
for green yellow or nekkid, and one other color normally black
sometimes gold which is for common wire common on one swithch is a
feed (hot) the other switch has your switch leg (goes to lite).
white wire to white fixture wires, yellow (my guess) to black fixture
wires, red to red, black to blue, unless one of your commons is blue
or some other color then hook it to fixture black wires, nekkid yellow/
green E are all grounds

Posted to alt.home.repair

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
mm wrote:

[...]

Nice link.

Sounds like the OP is in the UK.

An old post I saved said that the UK neutral was black and recently,
through European "harmonization", became blue. (Hot and neutral colors
swapped - must be fun for electricians.)

As the OP can see there are major electrical differences between
US/Canada, which is primarily what this newsgroup is, and the UK.

Try uk.d-i-y

--
bud--

replacing a ceiling pandora Home Repair 2 March 12th 07 09:49 PM
Ceiling fan w/ light - Light doesn't work [email protected] Home Repair 2 March 4th 07 04:41 PM
Replacing kitchen ceiling in flat Steve UK diy 12 October 6th 06 04:38 PM
Old Ceiling Fan/Light gone with two wires coming from the ceiling CJ Home Repair 2 April 19th 06 03:22 PM
Replacing Ceiling Light - barry martin Home Repair 0 June 29th 04 06:34 PM