Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Replacing a ceiling light

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
mm wrote:

On 11 Apr 2007 12:20:29 -0700, "Mando" wrote:

Hi all

Sorry to sound such a div, but I've got a simple wiring problem. I'm
replacing a ceiling light. There are 2 cables coming out of the
ceiling, that originally went into a ceiling rose terminal block

I'm trying to picture what a "rose" terminal block looks like...I'm
guessing it's got terminal screws aranged around the periphery of a
circle maybe?
(I

didn't make a not of how this was wired!). One cable has four wires
(red, blue, yellow, and one "naked"). The other cable has red L,
black
N and green/yellow E.

I'm very confused.

What country are you in?

What do L, N, and E mean, in "red L, black N and green/yellow E."

I'm guessing they are "Line", "Neutral" and "Earth" (ground), so the
OP's probably not a "Born in the USA" guy.

BTW, what's a div?

Found it he

http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/d.htm

Nice link.

Sounds like the OP is in the UK.

An old post I saved said that the UK neutral was black and recently,
through European "harmonization", became blue. (Hot and neutral colors
swapped - must be fun for electricians.)

As the OP can see there are major electrical differences between
US/Canada, which is primarily what this newsgroup is, and the UK.

Try uk.d-i-y

--
bud--