Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default In-house visit by a "Rainbow vacuum" salesperson

mm wrote:
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 15:26:46 -0700, Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to
reply wrote:

Have you seen the movie "Secondhand Lions"? The two old guys in the
movie did the same thing.

I used to LOOOOVE when door-to-door vacuum salespeople would come by to
try to sell us a vacuum cleaner. I would open the door when they
knocked, and all of a sudden their eyes would go round as saucers and
they would say, "Oh, what lovely hardwood floors!" and sort of back off. LOL

Would that work with evangelists?

I doubt it. I never had to say a thing. Just tell door-to-door types
you're not interested while you are closing the door. Those of us who
do go around on occasion looking for people who are interested in
finding a church will appreciate it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

According to Ignoramus32056 :
We had a visit by a saleswoman who was trying to sell us a $2,000
"Rainbow cleaning system".

Long ago and far away, the mother of a girl I knew asked me to
sit in on a vacuum demonstration. Might have been Kirby. He
did the usual stuff, which we thought pretty amusing.

Then her father got home, just as the salesman was getting to
the "betcha this thing can pick up anything. Find something
for me to show you" bit. Her father said "just a moment",
went into the basement, and came back with a cylinder about
3/4" in diameter, 8" long.

Just as the salesman was moving the hose towards the thing, he
asked "oh, by the way, what is this?".

"Stick of dynamite" was the reply.

The salesman was out of the house within 15 seconds...
--
Chris Lewis,

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article , Ignoramus32056 wrote:
We had a visit by a saleswoman who was trying to sell us a $2,000
"Rainbow cleaning system".

(metalworking group removed due to irrelevancy)

Despite the sales practices, the fact remains that the Rainbow is a pretty
good vacuum, if not particularly frugal. I've had mine since 1978. Had the
motor replaced once (don't EVER leave it for prolonged periods with the tank
filled, due to evaporative corrosion) and recently had the motor and bearings
overhauled due to normal age-related issues. One lives with the minor hassle
of dealing with the tank - I just dump it into an old sieve and toss the crud
into the kitchen trashcan. I have no complaints with the longevity,
reliability, and performance. Obviously paying the door-to-door price is
preposterous. I got mine for something like $300 or $350 as a model closeout
at a retail establishment, which even in 1978 wasn't a horribly shocking sum.

It's an unusual niche product which performs well.

Art

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Chris Lewis wrote:

According to Ignoramus32056 :
We had a visit by a saleswoman who was trying to sell us a $2,000
"Rainbow cleaning system".

Long ago and far away, the mother of a girl I knew asked me to
sit in on a vacuum demonstration. Might have been Kirby. He
did the usual stuff, which we thought pretty amusing.

Then her father got home, just as the salesman was getting to
the "betcha this thing can pick up anything. Find something
for me to show you" bit. Her father said "just a moment",
went into the basement, and came back with a cylinder about
3/4" in diameter, 8" long.

Just as the salesman was moving the hose towards the thing, he
asked "oh, by the way, what is this?".

"Stick of dynamite" was the reply.

The salesman was out of the house within 15 seconds...

Rainbow built a vacuum that would pick up a bowling ball. The only
problem was that it could also pull carpet off the tack strips. They
had to recall all of them and convert them to their standard motor.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Okay, so I'm late and catching up, but Gunner wrote
on Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:37:37 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

reply wrote:

Have you seen the movie "Secondhand Lions"? The two old guys in the
movie did the same thing.

I used to LOOOOVE when door-to-door vacuum salespeople would come by to
try to sell us a vacuum cleaner. I would open the door when they
knocked, and all of a sudden their eyes would go round as saucers and
they would say, "Oh, what lovely hardwood floors!" and sort of back off. LOL

Would that work with evangelists?

Probably not,....but having your girlfriend lay nude on the coffee table
surrounded by candles and blank staring at the ceiling..visible from the
front door..and wearing war paint and obviously trying to hide a dagger
behind you as you answer the door..and asking them if they want to come
in for the Sacrifice to Chluthu..generally puts them off their feed.....
The Doors playing "This is the End" on the turntable with the bass
cranked all the way up..was an additional kharma point....

"What may I kill for your god.."
--
pyotr filipivich
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. "

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

You need show the corpses of vacuum cleaner salesmen hanging on the wall
:-)
reply wrote:

Have you seen the movie "Secondhand Lions"? The two old guys in the
movie did the same thing.

I used to LOOOOVE when door-to-door vacuum salespeople would come by
try to sell us a vacuum cleaner. I would open the door when they
knocked, and all of a sudden their eyes would go round as saucers and
they would say, "Oh, what lovely hardwood floors!" and sort of back
off. LOL

Would that work with evangelists?

Nope, you have to show them the corpses of animals nailed to the walls etc
instead.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

reply wrote:

[...]

Well, well, well, petrushka, you just have revealed as a litlle
imaginative & creative little perv! What about developing it into a
short story or making a number for utube? You're gifted, petia...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
mc mc is offline

Would that work with evangelists?

I doubt it. I never had to say a thing. Just tell door-to-door types
you're not interested while you are closing the door. Those of us who
do go around on occasion looking for people who are interested in
finding a church will appreciate it.

Put an ad in the yellow pages and leave us alone! Anybody who wants to
find a church can easily find one without your help.

A lot of people appreciate door-to-door visits from local churches;
otherwise the churches would have stopped making them long ago. It's an
old-fashioned welcome-to-the-community thing. I suppose next you'll want to
get rid of Girl Scout cookie selling.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
mc mc is offline

"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. "

That's "Quemadmodum gladius..."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

mc wrote

Would that work with evangelists?

I doubt it. I never had to say a thing. Just tell door-to-door
types you're not interested while you are closing the door. Those of us who do go around on
occasion looking for people who are interested in finding a church will appreciate it.

Put an ad in the yellow pages and leave us alone! Anybody who wants to find a church can easily
find one without your help.

A lot of people appreciate door-to-door visits from local churches;

**** all do in fact.

otherwise the churches would have stopped making them long ago.

Mindlessly silly, just like with any sort of sales fool.

It's an old-fashioned welcome-to-the-community thing.

Wrong, as always.

I suppose next you'll want to get rid of Girl Scout cookie selling.

Nar, just fools like you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

reply wrote:

[...]

....or "Who may I....

That incident actually happened about 1975-78is..the girl fiend was as
deranged as I was (damn I miss her..she married a Congressman about her
4th time around)...and it earned us a visit from the local sherriffs
department, which we expected and had cleaned up by the time they got
there. Deputy friend of mine showed up...did the question thing..then on
his way out..his shoulders started heaving..as he wiped a bit of missed
war paint from behind my ear..and he left, laughing his ass off.

We didnt get bothered by evangelists for years..they would come down the
street..and cross to the other side..waving their bibles in our
direction...

Gunner

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly
Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII
Meets all EPA regulations for clean air
Using only naturally occuring fibers
Use the Message with confidance.
(Some settling may occure in transit.)
(Best if Used before May 13, 2009)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

reply wrote:

[...]

You say that like its a bad thing?

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly
Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII
Meets all EPA regulations for clean air
Using only naturally occuring fibers
Use the Message with confidance.
(Some settling may occure in transit.)
(Best if Used before May 13, 2009)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:24:30 -0400, mc wrote:
Would that work with evangelists?

I doubt it. I never had to say a thing. Just tell door-to-door types
you're not interested while you are closing the door. Those of us who
do go around on occasion looking for people who are interested in
finding a church will appreciate it.

Put an ad in the yellow pages and leave us alone! Anybody who wants to
find a church can easily find one without your help.

A lot of people appreciate door-to-door visits from local churches;

Wow, you *are* deluded!

otherwise the churches would have stopped making them long ago.

No, it just shows that people who are deluded enough to go
door-to-door promoting their particular brand of fantasy don't
have a clue.

It's an
old-fashioned welcome-to-the-community thing.

"Hi! We're a bunch of nuts! Please join our club! We believe
in magical beings! Do you want to believe in a magical being too?"

Uh, no thanks.

I suppose next you'll want to
get rid of Girl Scout cookie selling.

Heck no. I LOVE thin mints.

- Rich

--
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

Would that work with evangelists?

I doubt it. I never had to say a thing. Just tell door-to-door types
you're not interested while you are closing the door. Those of us who
do go around on occasion looking for people who are interested in
finding a church will appreciate it.

Put an ad in the yellow pages and leave us alone! Anybody who wants to
find a church can easily find one without your help.

A lot of people appreciate door-to-door visits from local churches;
otherwise the churches would have stopped making them long ago. It's an
old-fashioned welcome-to-the-community thing. I suppose next you'll want to
get rid of Girl Scout cookie selling.

This is actually quite true, and not just for those new to the
neighborhood, but for the homebound and the elderly.

Shrug..but it is irritating to get a knock on the door on Saturday
afternoon while Im knocking off a piece of ass, or enjoying a good book
and a dump, sitting on the toilet..only to find a Watchtower being waved
in my face.

They are generally pleasant though and go away when asked.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly
Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII
Meets all EPA regulations for clean air
Using only naturally occuring fibers
Use the Message with confidance.
(Some settling may occure in transit.)
(Best if Used before May 13, 2009)
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Or the one at the store. The guy was explaining the odor remover
product, and how it did such a good job. He took a cloth, and
squirted on some vinegar. And offered to let me smell. And then a
squirt of his deodorizing stuff.

Well, anyone with my chemistry background knows that vinegar
smell is account of acetic acid. And most cleaners are alkaline.
I could have gotten the same result with a crushed Tums, just
neutralize the acid.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
:
: "Leo Lichtman" wrote in message
:
:
: A similar sales ploy was for a brand of salt that was mined
rather than sea
: salt. The salesman would start his speial about how the pure
salt was taken
: from deep in underground mines whereas the sea salt was salt
water left in
: big ponds to evaporate with all the sea gulls flying over head
and all of
: the fish guts tainting the flavor of the salt. He then would
dip an apple
: wedge in his brand of salt and ask the prospect to taste.
Salty apple.
: Then he would dip another apple wedge into the competitors salt
and urge the
: prospect to taste. Since the first bite had loaded up the salt
receptors in
: the prospect's mouth and their mind was filled with the vision
of fish guts
: and seagull poop the second dose of salt tasted really foul.
:
:
: --
: Roger Shoaf
: If you are not part of the solution, you are not dissolved in
the solvent.
:
:
:

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

I'd rather have girl scouts selling thin mints, rath er than vac
cleaner sales men. At least the kids are trying to earn scout
camp money, and productive things like that.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"user" wrote in message
:
: I suppose next you'll want to
: get rid of Girl Scout cookie selling.
:
: Heck no. I LOVE thin mints.
:
: - Rich
:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On 01 May 2007 02:45:19 GMT, user wrote:

[...]

"Hi. I'm John. This is Mary. Would you like to come and kiss Hank's
ass with us?" :-)

Uh, no thanks.

I suppose next you'll want to
get rid of Girl Scout cookie selling.

Heck no. I LOVE thin mints.

I do too.

I remember hearing that Boy Scouts are a cult now, but Girl Scouts are
OK.

- Rich

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

school classes." -- Ted Kennedy
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

My parents had one for over 20 years. It always worked great, and I
didn't think much about it.

When I was in college, I lost my job and started cleaning houses while
looking for a regular job. I was diagnosed with asthma and had a
really rough winter. The problem is I was using the vacuum cleaners
provided at the houses. I never knew it, but that water tank vacuum
cleaner was keeping me from asthma problems.

Changing a bag or getting a clogged hose would set off asthma attacks
for a week. But with the rainbow, all I had to do was empty a water
tank, and I'm not allergic to mud.

I currently have a Eureka vacuum with a canister. It's better than the
bags since I can see when it is full and carefully empty it without
too much dust in the air. I still have more allergy problems than I
used to.

I would love to get another Rainbow vac, but I can't afford to buy a
spendy one, and even the used ones are usually over $500. I almost had
a good trade for one on craigslist, but after setting up the trade,
the person stopped responding.

I can see why a lot of people wouldn't want one, but if you have
allergies and have trouble with emptying out the dirt, a rainbow might
be a great choice for you. Also, since the dirt is going through the
water bowl, you don't need to buy and change filters a lot.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

[...]

Peepholes are a great help. Unless it is a face I know or a uniform, the
door usually doesn't get opened. Fer damn sure it doesn't get opened for
shiny young faces, white shirts, and ties. They go away eventually.

aem sends....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
mc mc is offline

Peepholes are a great help. Unless it is a face I know or a uniform, the
door usually doesn't get opened. Fer damn sure it doesn't get opened for
shiny young faces, white shirts, and ties. They go away eventually.

Of course. You don't have to open the door if you don't want to.

I should add that the mainstream Christian churches with which I am
acquainted (Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, etc.) normally only visit people
who have contacted them to request information. Very rarely (at intervals
of several years), they take surveys of the immediate area of the church, to
learn about the neighborhood, but that is not the normal form of visiting.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 09:37:37 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

I used to LOOOOVE when door-to-door vacuum salespeople would come by to
try to sell us a vacuum cleaner. I would open the door when they
knocked, and all of a sudden their eyes would go round as saucers and
they would say, "Oh, what lovely hardwood floors!" and sort of back off. LOL

Would that work with evangelists?

Probably not,....but having your girlfriend lay nude on the coffee table
surrounded by candles and blank staring at the ceiling..visible from the
front door.

If I only knew when they were coming, I could get my girlfriend to do
that, if I had a girlfriend who would do that (if I had a girlfriend)/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

I used to LOOOOVE when door-to-door vacuum salespeople would come by to
try to sell us a vacuum cleaner. I would open the door when they
knocked, and all of a sudden their eyes would go round as saucers and
they would say, "Oh, what lovely hardwood floors!" and sort of back off. LOL

Would that work with evangelists?

Probably not,....but having your girlfriend lay nude on the coffee table
surrounded by candles and blank staring at the ceiling..visible from the
front door.

If I only knew when they were coming, I could get my girlfriend to do
that, if I had a girlfriend who would do that (if I had a girlfriend)/

Its cool when you see the crew park down at one end of the street and
start making the rounds up one side and down the other. Pretty hard to
miss em..the well dressed people carring bibles and literature.

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"
- James Burnham

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

uld that work with evangelists?

Probably not,....but having your girlfriend lay nude on the coffee table
surrounded by candles and blank staring at the ceiling..visible from the
front door.

If I only knew when they were coming, I could get my girlfriend to do
that, if I had a girlfriend who would do that (if I had a girlfriend)/

Or just do your best impression of Rik Ocasik [sp?] from the Cars in the
John Waters flick, uh,uh why is the name escaping me.....
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Or just do your best impression of Rik Ocasik [sp?] from the Cars in the
John Waters flick, uh,uh why is the name escaping me.....

................Hairspray, that's it
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Apr 27, 12:27 pm, Ignoramus32056 ignoramus32...@NOSPAM.
32056.invalid wrote:
We had a visit by a saleswoman who was trying to sell us a $2,000
"Rainbow cleaning system". For just listening, we received a gift of
some bed sheet and also a "gift travel certificate" from a company
called "Certs, Inc". (which is a florida based travel gifts company
that does not make me very excited)

http://www.rainbowsystem.com/

What this thing is, it seems, is a 25k RPM impeller sitting on top of
a Lexan bowl filled with water. The impeller sucks air in, makes it
whirl in a way that it makes contact with water and sheds the dust and
other stuff into water.

There is no filter, like on conventional vacuums that trap particles
into a filter. Water acts as a filter.

The machine was supposedly "1.9 HP", however, when measured with my
Kill-A-Watt power meter, it registered only 850 watts consumed from
the wall outlet, so it could not be more than 1 HP. OK, we all know
that everyone is lying about HP these days. No biggie. If it was 1.9
HP, it would trip the breakers all the time.

As a side comment, what we have now is a Sears Kenmore upright vacuum
that is a real beast, it uses about 13 amps and has a HEPA filter.

Then the saleswoman proceeded to make various points, which I may not
remember all or in correct order, but I will mention a few.

1. Vacuum cleaners do not pick up sand from carpets/rugs, well.
No comment on my part.

2. After just 15 minutes of use, due to dust getting into the fine
mesh of the vacuum's filter, the "air flow" diminishes due to dust
blocking the little pores. So a vacuum cleaner is not usable.

This was a total lie, as was easy to demonstrate with my vacuum which
has its bag 2/3 full already. It still sucked well and produced a lot
of suction and air flow.

3. Vacuums blow dust around and increase amount of dust.

I cannot say that it is false, for sure, but the 2.3 full bag in our
vacuum attests that it traps at least some dust. Plus, it does have a
HEPA filter.

She did some acrobatics by taking out the HEPA filter, which had some
dust on the back, kind of mashed it in her hands a little and put
back, -- then when the vacuum turned on, a lot of dust was indeed
blown out.

4. Then there were some demonstrations that Rainbow would still pick
up dust after vacuuming with a Sears vacuum, which could possibly be
true but I think that she cheated a bit by going outside the area that
I actually vacuumed, a bit -- it is kind of hard to tell, I think so
but my spouse is not so sure.

5. She made some claims about infections that her system prevented,
which went somewhat over my head but overall I was not sure if it was
not complete bunk.

We did not purchase this system in the end, but I wanted to hear some
opinions on this stuff.

They came to my house one time with the offer of a free carpet shampoo
to demonstrate. They did not clean the carpet and would not leave. I
had to threaten a call to the police to get them to go.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message

couldn't imagine dealing with the water
bowl everytime I'd use it.

It's a pain. And then you get lazy. And then the
thing sits for a week and starts to mold. And then
it stinks and you *really* don't want to take it out
'cause it smells like a cesspool. And then your mom
yells at you and you take it out.

Grew up with one. Mom got conned. They're no better
than anything else. Just cost 10 times as much.

***

We had a guy come by the house last year. Hit the wife up.
I basically kept hinting that it was time to leave.
He ended up spending over 2 hours on his demonstration
and we turned him down on buying it. (Hey, we asked
him to leave before he even started, but he *insisted*)

And then he insulted us. And then he was rude: "If you
live *here* (we have the nicest house on the street, and
quite likely for miles around) -- if you live *here* in
a house like this, then *obviously* you can afford a
lousy 2 grand for a vacuum."

I told him to go to hell. "It's exactly *because* we
don't spend our money on stupid **** like you're
hawking that we can afford to live in a little nicer
house"

He still wouldn't leave. So ... I got out my cleaning
kit, and walked over to my gunsafe. Pulled out my
12 guage like I was gonna start cleaning it and the
******* nearly crapped his pants as he was running
for the door.

I hate these salesfolks and can't honestly believe
there are enough suckers out there to spend 2 grand
per to keep 'em in business ... but then again, I
grew up in a house with one so I guess Mom got
suckered too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Chris Lewis wrote:

According to Ignoramus32056 :
We had a visit by a saleswoman who was trying to sell us a $2,000
"Rainbow cleaning system".

Long ago and far away, the mother of a girl I knew asked me to
sit in on a vacuum demonstration. Might have been Kirby. He
did the usual stuff, which we thought pretty amusing.

The sign adjacent to our front door:

Solicitors Welcome
Tuesdays 7:00 PM

Dungeon Tours
Tuesdays 7:15 PM

Human Sacrifices
Tuesdays 7:30 PM

Haven't been bothered in years

Carla
From whence, then, could arise the solitary and strange conceit that
the Almighty, who had millions of worlds equally dependant on His
protection, should quit the care of all the rest, and come to die in our
world, because, they say, one man and one woman had eaten an apple? -
Thomas Paine

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 11:27:13 -0500, Ignoramus32056
wrote:

[...]

I like the sales pitch my father in law fell for when the Rainbow
salesman was at his house...the guy had these huge clear plastic bags
into which he placed the cushions off the couch...stuck the nozzle in
the end of the bag with the bag all scrunched up around the
nozzle...claimed he was sucking all the odors out of the couch
cushions...that's all it took...he reeled in the order right then and
there!

Posted to misc.consumers.house
mc mc is offline

"William Cutler" wrote in message

I like the sales pitch my father in law fell for when the Rainbow
salesman was at his house...the guy had these huge clear plastic bags
into which he placed the cushions off the couch...stuck the nozzle in
the end of the bag with the bag all scrunched up around the
nozzle...claimed he was sucking all the odors out of the couch
cushions...that's all it took...he reeled in the order right then and
there!

You can do that with any vacuum cleaner, and it's a reasonably good way to
get odors out of pillows and cushions.

But it's nothing specific to Rainbow.