Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house

Default Building a home with a contractor -- is it possible?

Hi Everyone,

This question has probably been asked a zillion times before, but I
thought I'd ask since the market is always changing. We're looking at
possibly building a house in a few years, and we're thinking of first
finding an acre or two someplace and buying it now with the hope of
paying it off rather quickly (3-4 years) then starting construction of
a house afterwards. My question is that if we spend those years
researching the in's and out's of building a house, talk to local
folks, etc, would it be possible for us to basically build the house
without a general contractor?

I honestly don't know alot beyond general house repairs and
construction, plus what I've read in Handyman Magazine and seen on
television, but I'd like to think if I spent the time it'll take to
pay off/down the properly I can self-educate myself to contract the
house myself and save some money... plus possibly get involved in
building the house to some degree to cut corners.

Is this common to do or maybe majorly not suggested?

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas in this re guard, and take care --

Alex