Posted to alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house
Rick Blaine Rick Blaine is offline

Default Building a home with a contractor -- is it possible?

Tim Smith wrote:

With our Off-Site method, the walls are
assembled into sectional panels just like the On-Site method But the
difference is, with On-Site, the weather and site conditions vary
from day to day causing the walls to be out-of-square and exposed to
rain.

We have an outfit nearby that does something similar. They prebuild all the
frame walls in a large building, stage the entire building in an empty field
nextdoor and truck it out to the site. I would think actual site construction is
just a couple of days rather than a couple of weeks for typical framing.

That obviously means the framing plan needs to be good, but I suspect the
overall cost isn't that much more. Material delivery is about the same, labor is
the same or less. Quality can be better in a factory than on site.

They typically have a dozen or more buildings being staged, so buisness must be
good.