Posted to alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house
John A. Weeks III John A. Weeks III is offline

Default Building a home with a contractor -- is it possible?

In article .com,
"Alex" wrote:

This question has probably been asked a zillion times before, but I
thought I'd ask since the market is always changing. We're looking at
possibly building a house in a few years, and we're thinking of first
finding an acre or two someplace and buying it now with the hope of
paying it off rather quickly (3-4 years) then starting construction of
a house afterwards. My question is that if we spend those years
researching the in's and out's of building a house, talk to local
folks, etc, would it be possible for us to basically build the house
without a general contractor?

It is possible, but why would you want to do that? A contractor
is going to be able to get everything at wholesale prices, then
they charge you a markup. You will pay retail, then have to do
a lot of work just to get that.

Subs are going to want to work with contractors since a contractor
can give them job after job. No sub is going to go out of their
way to work for you since you are just one job, and you are a pain
in the butt since you don't know how things are supposed to work.

Finally, few banks are going to want to deal with you. They know
that do-it-yourself contractors are just are just like do-it-
yourself brain surgeons--a plan for disaster.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com