Posted to alt.building.construction,misc.consumers.house
v v is offline

Default Building a home with a contractor -- is it possible?

On 22 Mar 2007 18:08:39 -0700, someone wrote:

.... would it be possible for us to basically build the house
without a general contractor?

I honestly don't know alot beyond general house repairs and
construction, plus what I've read in Handyman Magazine

Sure it's "possible". But you won't save any money.

If you want to learn how to build a house, and are willing to do it in
real time with your own money, go ahead.

An established GC has reliable subs who give him the best prices, as
well as scheduling priority. A good sub isn't hurting for work and
would prefer working with an established professional he knows, than
an ignorant noob who he will have to take the time to educate, plus he
doesn't know how reliable you are about paying your bills. So if the
subs charge you ten percent more, and then with your own screw-ups you
cost yourself 10% in mistakes and omissions and do-overs, then there
goes your savings.

I have done it more than once. But then I have a degree in
architecture, worked as a structural designer, a project manager and
an on-site superintendent. If you have to ask :"can we" or "is it
possible", then no you should not. If you have to ask, the answer is
no.