Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Cheap (free?) floor plan software?

We want to do something with the basement, but the immovable fixtures
and existing framed-in spaces make it difficult to visualize
anything.

Any suggestions for simple software which allows placement of the
fixed walls and utilities and then for moving around all the other
stuff we want to try?

I've seen references to products that work on a paper grid with paper
or plastic cutouts, but haven't been able to lay my hands on such a
thing. Anybody know what they're called or where to find them?

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
Bert Hyman wrote:

[...]

I've seen references to products that work on a paper grid with paper
or plastic cutouts, but haven't been able to lay my hands on such a
thing. Anybody know what they're called or where to find them?

Get some graph paper with 1/4 inch squares in the largest size sheet you
can locate and using 1 square = 1 foot (or if the basement is small
enough or the sheet is large enough 2 or 4 squares = 1 foot) lay out
first the walls and doors, then add the fixed fixtures. This is your
base. Then take more of the graph paper and cut out scale sized pieces
to represent the items that will be movable. Color them in several
colors and start playing. Take photos of the various combinations and
see what you like best.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L
Posted to misc.consumers.house
WDS WDS is offline

On Nov 14, 9:52 am, Bert Hyman wrote:
We want to do something with the basement, but the immovable fixtures
and existing framed-in spaces make it difficult to visualize
anything.

Any suggestions for simple software which allows placement of the
fixed walls and utilities and then for moving around all the other
stuff we want to try?

I've seen references to products that work on a paper grid with paper
or plastic cutouts, but haven't been able to lay my hands on such a
thing. Anybody know what they're called or where to find them?

There is tons of different software that does this kind of thing, too.
Some will even render a 3D image and let you "walk through" it
virtually. I haven't used any of it for over a deacde but back then we
used 3D Home Design by Broderbund. You can often see older versions of
this (and others) for sale for $10 or less at Best Buy and such.