Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
ap ap is offline

Default do you clean dryer vent?

Hello,
we are noticing that the dryer takes a bit longer than usual,
we always clean the lint filter that plugs into the dryer.
I was wondering if others clean their dryer vents that lead
to the outside of the house?

If so, can this be diy or is too hard? We are not handy types.

If you have any web links on how to do it, please send them.

Thanks!

Posted to misc.consumers.house

ap wrote:
Hello,
we are noticing that the dryer takes a bit longer than usual,
we always clean the lint filter that plugs into the dryer.
I was wondering if others clean their dryer vents that lead
to the outside of the house?

If so, can this be diy or is too hard? We are not handy types.

If you have any web links on how to do it, please send them.

Thanks!

In my admittedly limited experience, the lint tends to collect most at
the point where it exists the vent to the outside, and you can often
just reaching and pull it out with your fingers. It's been that way in
the three houses I've lived in, anyway. Can't hurt to check.

--
Jennifer

Posted to misc.consumers.house

ap wrote:
Hello,
we are noticing that the dryer takes a bit longer than usual,
we always clean the lint filter that plugs into the dryer.
I was wondering if others clean their dryer vents that lead
to the outside of the house?

If so, can this be diy or is too hard? We are not handy types.

If you have any web links on how to do it, please send them.

Thanks!

Cleaning the dryer vent is not hard do a search for "dryer lint trap
brush" for the tool.

Befor you do that I would try cleaning the lint trap with warm soapy
water and a toothbrush. Dryer sheets leave a fill that builds up over
time and decreases air flow. That may be your problem

http://www.happyslob.com/linttrap.html

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"ap" writes:

Hello,
we are noticing that the dryer takes a bit longer than usual,
we always clean the lint filter that plugs into the dryer.
I was wondering if others clean their dryer vents that lead
to the outside of the house?

If so, can this be diy or is too hard? We are not handy types.

If you have any web links on how to do it, please send them.

It's easy--you buy a vent cleaning kit - a round brush and a long
flexible extendable shaft. Home Depot and Sears have em iirc. Just
ask for a dryer vent cleaning kit.

If you ask your local fire department who knows where dryer fires make
up a frightening spot on the list of house fire causes, they'll tell
you to do this maintenance annually, and make sure you don't have any
of that plasticized flex crap on your dryer duct.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Lint tends to collect at the elbows of the dryer vent.

The way to test if your dryer vent needs to be cleaned is to disconnect
the transition duct (the flexible hose that runs from the back of the
dryer to the wall) and replace it with pantyhose. If your drying time
decreases, the vent is clogged.

Try http://CleanYourOwnDryerVent.com

Alisa LeSueur
Certified Dryer Exhaust Technician

ap wrote:
Hello,
we are noticing that the dryer takes a bit longer than usual,
we always clean the lint filter that plugs into the dryer.
I was wondering if others clean their dryer vents that lead
to the outside of the house?

If so, can this be diy or is too hard? We are not handy types.

If you have any web links on how to do it, please send them.

Thanks!

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On 26 Oct 2006 07:35:53 -0700, "Jennifer" wrote:

ap wrote:
Hello,
we are noticing that the dryer takes a bit longer than usual,
we always clean the lint filter that plugs into the dryer.
I was wondering if others clean their dryer vents that lead
to the outside of the house?

If so, can this be diy or is too hard? We are not handy types.

If you have any web links on how to do it, please send them.

Thanks!

In my admittedly limited experience, the lint tends to collect most at
the point where it exists the vent to the outside, and you can often
just reaching and pull it out with your fingers. It's been that way in
the three houses I've lived in, anyway. Can't hurt to check.

There can be worse things than lint too. A few years back, our dryer
started taking forever to dry stuff. Finally, I pulled the dryer out,
undid the vent line and found a piegon's nest and two (hard boiled)
eggs in it!

Apparently ithe birds were small enough to fit through the outside
opening (no screen or flap, just the sheet metal rain hood) and they
liked it...probably flapped out when the dryer started up, the nest
appeared to have been partially rebuilt so maybe miore than one set of
birds used it.

Anyway, after replacing the dryer vent hose, I built a bird excluder
out of some heavy-gauge copper wire (basically made a cartwheel shape
and folded the "spokes" in as I pushed it down into the vent where it
exited the wall). Withe the spokes bent out as spikes and the wire
itself we've not had a problem since.

The copper wire should last for decades and the "mesh" is more than an
inch square so I don't worry much about lint build up. One of these
years, I'll pull the vent and check to be safe.

This is a condo but whenever I retire to a real house, I'll put a vent
with a flap or something built in. Besides the fire danger and wasted
energy, I really hate having cooked the pigeon eggs even though I
loathe pigeons.

Jim P.