Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Vertical vs. Horizontal Blinds

I need to buy blinds for my living room. I have never done it so I am
looking for an advice.

I live in an apartment building in New York. The window frame is made
of metal so the blinds will have to be mounted to the ceiling.
Horizontally, the window stretches across the whole width of the room
(except for a few inches on both sides to account for the metal frame).

- Left half has a window sill, there's room heater/air continioner
under the sill
- Right half has a sliding glass balcony door and the ajacent tall
window, so that half stretches from floor to ceiling vertically

I have an option of installing 2 vertical blinds where the left blind
will be shorter (where the still/heater is) and the right blind that
would be larger and would cover the sliding balcony door and the
adjacent window.

Or, I can install 2 horizontal blinds.

What would be the best choice for my situation?

Many thanks in advance.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Tracey

wrote in message
oups.com...
- Left half has a window sill, there's room heater/air continioner
under the sill

I think it is a matter of which look you like better. Having said that, the
one problem I see with vertical blinds in your situation is the heater/ac
unit under the window. I have vertical blinds and the floor vents for my
heating system are under the windows, and every time the heat or a/c runs,
the vertical blinds move back and forth and make sounds from the air
currents. Its just something to think about that you might not have
considered.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On 25 Apr 2006 10:24:37 -0700, someone wrote:

I need to buy blinds for my living room.

My vote is, vertical blinds for the slider/floor to ceiling,
horizontal for the window IF the vents blow upwards.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

But wount't it look weird where the left half of the window has
horizontal blinds and the right half has vertcial blinds?

Posted to misc.consumers.house
shinypenny

wrote:
[...]

Well, I might not be the best to ask, because I think vertical blinds
are just plain hideous. I did once have them but I consider them one of
my single worst "bad decorating moves." LOL.

And as the other poster said, they will make noise when the AC or heat
comes on. I also don't find them any easier with sliding doors than
horizontal blinds.

If it were me I'd definetly go with horizontal blinds. When you want
light, you can raise them to the same level and it'll look nice,
drawing the eye upward and away from hvac unit under the sill. Whereas
with verticals, no matter whether they're closed or open, you'll still
be noticing that they are different heights, and I think it'll draw
more attention to the hvac unit.

Another alternative, if you just want privacy and don't intend to have
the blinds open during the day but want light, is to get spring-tension
rods and place them within the frame of the windows at top and bottom,
and use sheers with rod pocket at top and at bottom.

Do you have a view?

jen

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com

I think you'll want vertical blinds, otherwise every time you want to
use the sliding door, you'd have to hoist the horizontal blinds all
the way up.

I have horizontals on all the windows, but verticals on the sliding
door.