Anonymous

Default Sony KV27TS20 Picture becomes a thin horizontal line - Vertical squashed

Sony KV27TS20 Picture becomes a thin horizontal line - Vertical squashed.

I have a 1989 Sony 27" color TV. After about 10 minutes of viewing the
picture becomes one horizontal (thin) line, everything else is ok. If you
hit it several times in one specific area, it goes back to normal veiwing,
and then intermittantly goes back to the vertical line.

I did some research on the net and one possible cause is a "bad Solder In
Vertical Output Circuit" I don't have the schematic and don't know the
location of the circuity, any help in finding and correcting the problem is
appreciated.

Thanks !!

BFriedl

Anonymous wrote:

Sony KV27TS20 Picture becomes a thin horizontal line - Vertical squashed.

and then intermittantly goes back to the vertical line.

which one is it? Horiz or vert?

James Sweet

"BFriedl" wrote in message

Anonymous wrote:

Sony KV27TS20 Picture becomes a thin horizontal line - Vertical

squashed.

and then intermittantly goes back to the vertical line.

which one is it? Horiz or vert?

It's pretty clear that the picture is vertically squashed into a horizontal
line as he said, so the vertical deflection circuit has a fault, could be as
simple as a cracked solder joint, but without some skills it's best to take
it to a shop, these are very good sets, but somewhat difficult to service.

Anonymous

Default Sony KV27TS20 Picture becomes a thin horizontal line - Horizontal squashed

Oops sorry, its the horizontal line. Spoke to a colleegue who also thinks
its a bad solder.
The next question - where is the "Vertical Output Circuit" is it on the main
board ???

Thanks !!
Tony

Anonymous wrote:

Sony KV27TS20 Picture becomes a thin horizontal line - Vertical

squashed.

and then intermittantly goes back to the vertical line.

which one is it? Horiz or vert?

It's pretty clear that the picture is vertically squashed into a

horizontal
line as he said, so the vertical deflection circuit has a fault, could be

as
simple as a cracked solder joint, but without some skills it's best to

take
it to a shop, these are very good sets, but somewhat difficult to service.

Sofa Slug

I just fixed my 27" JVC set with the exact same problem by using the =
following procedure (I assume you are familiar with safety procedures =
when working inside a TV, if not, read this first: =
http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/tvfaq.htm#tvsaf ) :

Look at the picture tube socket. If there is a small deflection board =
there, check the solder connections. Trace the wires back from the =
socket/board to the chassis. Look at the printed screening on top of the =
PC board, working outwards from the vicinity where these wires connect. =
If you're lucky you will see something referring to the vertical output =
section.

Look for a large chip or transistor nearby - probably mounted on a heat =
sink (also look for any big power resistors). Check around the pins of =
these components on the PCB for hairline cracks in the solder. If you're =
feeling brave, you could also power the TV while prodding these =
components and the PCB with a long well-insulated item like a wooden =
dowel, but be careful !!

For more info, see:

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/tvfaq.htm#tvsinghli

"Anonymous" wrote in message =
Sony KV27TS20 Picture becomes a thin horizontal line - Vertical =

squashed.
=20