Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
KLS

Default new American Standard Cadet isn't flushing well

We've got two American Standard Cadet toilets. We bought the first
about 2 years ago and are still very pleased with its performance. The
second one was bought about 3 months ago on the strength of the first
one's good work at removing waste, but it is not working nearly as
well.

The flapper seems to be closing too soon, not allowing enough water to
take away the waste.

I have checked to see whether the bowl is level longitudinally and
latitudinally, and it is. I've also adjusted the float on the flapper
chain both up and down, and there is no improvement whatsoever. The
float on the filler tube is also adjusted correctly to provide enough
water for a flush. The only thing that works is to hold the flush
lever until the waste exits the bowl. But this should not be
necessary: what other solutions can I try?

Is this problem possibly related to old plumbing? We have a sink in
the same bathroom that also doesn't drain well, and I know I need to
get the plumber in to ream the wastepipe for that. Could there be a
connection?
Posted to misc.consumers.house
TKM

"KLS" wrote in message
[...]

The slow-draining sink is a good clue. Yes, the toilet could be affected.
But, in addition to the waste pipe, also check the vent stack. If that's
plugged, gravity can't move the waste as easily.

TKM

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Speedy Jim

KLS wrote:

We've got two American Standard Cadet toilets. We bought the first
about 2 years ago and are still very pleased with its performance. The
second one was bought about 3 months ago on the strength of the first
one's good work at removing waste, but it is not working nearly as
well.

The flapper seems to be closing too soon, not allowing enough water to
take away the waste.
SNIP

The flapper is supposed to "float" , allowing it to close later.
I would replace the flapper. As a test, swap it with the flapper
from the other toilet.

The sink drain being slow is probably un-related./

Jim
Posted to misc.consumers.house
KLS

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 15:06:13 GMT, Speedy Jim wrote:

KLS wrote:

We've got two American Standard Cadet toilets. We bought the first
about 2 years ago and are still very pleased with its performance. The
second one was bought about 3 months ago on the strength of the first
one's good work at removing waste, but it is not working nearly as
well.

The flapper seems to be closing too soon, not allowing enough water to
take away the waste.
SNIP

The flapper is supposed to "float" , allowing it to close later.
I would replace the flapper. As a test, swap it with the flapper
from the other toilet.

The sink drain being slow is probably un-related./

Thanks, Jim, I suspected this could be the culprit, but I can't
believe that would be so for such a new toilet. I'll take the thing
in to Home Depot with my receipt for the toilet and ask them to just
give me a new flapper.