Posted to misc.consumers.house
TKM

Default new American Standard Cadet isn't flushing well

"KLS" wrote in message
We've got two American Standard Cadet toilets. We bought the first
about 2 years ago and are still very pleased with its performance. The
second one was bought about 3 months ago on the strength of the first
one's good work at removing waste, but it is not working nearly as
well.

The flapper seems to be closing too soon, not allowing enough water to
take away the waste.

I have checked to see whether the bowl is level longitudinally and
latitudinally, and it is. I've also adjusted the float on the flapper
chain both up and down, and there is no improvement whatsoever. The
float on the filler tube is also adjusted correctly to provide enough
water for a flush. The only thing that works is to hold the flush
lever until the waste exits the bowl. But this should not be
necessary: what other solutions can I try?

Is this problem possibly related to old plumbing? We have a sink in
the same bathroom that also doesn't drain well, and I know I need to
get the plumber in to ream the wastepipe for that. Could there be a
connection?

The slow-draining sink is a good clue. Yes, the toilet could be affected.
But, in addition to the waste pipe, also check the vent stack. If that's
plugged, gravity can't move the waste as easily.

TKM