Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Father Jack Hackett

Default Question for Chain link fence expert ? guages for different animals ?

Is there a quality grade of chain link for animals ? I have seen
animals at the zoo behind chain link and not ehard of escapes.
Last year I purchased one of those 10 x 10 x 6 ft high ready made dog
pens. It took my German Shepherd about a hour to rip a hole in the
door.
I know have two German Shepherds and would like to to build a long
run. Is there a better heavier grade, like something made for lions ?

Thanks
Jack
Posted to misc.consumers.house
Rich Greenberg

In article ,
Father Jack Hackett wrote:
Is there a quality grade of chain link for animals ? I have seen
animals at the zoo behind chain link and not ehard of escapes.
Last year I purchased one of those 10 x 10 x 6 ft high ready made dog
pens. It took my German Shepherd about a hour to rip a hole in the
door.
I know have two German Shepherds and would like to to build a long
run. Is there a better heavier grade, like something made for lions ?

Most home installations use a light gague wire, #12 or 13. You really
want heavier, like 9. You also want a tension wire at the bottom or
even better a bar across the bottom.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

My German Shepherd just went over chain link (only about 3'). Tried
adding 2' more temporary plastic above that and it took about an hour
for her to figure out how to defeat it. Put in a 6' wood privacy fence
and she learned how to open the gate latch. Modified the latch and she
figured out how to just climb the 6' fence to visit the neighbors.
Whatever you use make sure you add a roof.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

try making an inward slant with some wire fencing around the top. I
have a GSD with the same problems. They are very smart

Posted to misc.consumers.house

KLS wrote:
On 20 Jan 2006 05:59:02 -0800, wrote:

My German Shepherd just went over chain link (only about 3'). Tried
adding 2' more temporary plastic above that and it took about an hour
for her to figure out how to defeat it. Put in a 6' wood privacy fence
and she learned how to open the gate latch. Modified the latch and she
figured out how to just climb the 6' fence to visit the neighbors.
Whatever you use make sure you add a roof.

Yeah, right, a roof over an entire yard? As for your GSD, have you
tried exercising her strenuously and regularly? My two young dogs
don't even TRY to leave my yard, which has 4' chain link of
indeterminate weight, because I walk them daily for 2-4 miles.
Intelligent dogs need a lot of exercise and stimulation.

Exercise never seemed to matter. Would walk her 4 miles and she would
jump 15 minutes later. Got a second dog as a playmate and she still
jumped. I really think that she learned there were "benefits" in going
over so she could play with her friends. My neighbors also walked or
drove her back around the block to my house a couple times, so she
learned that if she heard their car start and jumped the fence she
would get to go for a ride in the car. She's pushing nine years old
now and she could still grab something off the top of the 6' fence
(many squirrels have come close to heart attacks) but has not tried
going over in years.