The DaveŠ

Default chain link fence question

When getting a 4' chain link fence installed around the yard, and I
have a dog, how necessary is it to get the extra tension wire at the
bottom of the fence?

The fence contractor says it's not really necessary unless you have a
dog that digs alot, or other pressures on the fence. I have a very
mellow basset hound that eats and sleeps, and digging has never been a
problem. The contractor's advice seems reasonable, but would like to
get a second opinion. Thanks.

--
"I ain't evil, I'm just good lookin'..."
Shaun Eli

Will that be your only dog ever?

I bought a house with a fenced yard. Never thought about it, never
thought about getting a dog.

Then a friend with a dog stayed with me for a couple of months, and we
couldn't leave her (the dog, not the friend) outside all day because
she'd dig her way out.

How much extra money are you talking about for the wire?

Shaun Eli
www.BrainChampagne.com
Brain Champagne: Clever Comedy for the Smarter Audience (sm)

The DaveŠ

Shaun Eli wrote:
Will that be your only dog ever?

That's the part that I keep coming back to. My dog now isn't a digger,
but I usually never get the same kind of dog twice in a row, so I can't
really say for sure what kind I'll get next time.

How much extra money are you talking about for the wire?

The fence will be about $2200, and the wire adds another $200, so it's
not like it's an outrageous amount of money.

--
"I ain't evil, I'm just good lookin'..."
Edwin Pawlowski

"The DaveŠ" wrote in message

The fence contractor says it's not really necessary unless you have a
dog that digs alot, or other pressures on the fence.

He is right

Norminn

The DaveŠ wrote:
Shaun Eli wrote:
Will that be your only dog ever?

That's the part that I keep coming back to. My dog now isn't a digger,
but I usually never get the same kind of dog twice in a row, so I can't
really say for sure what kind I'll get next time.

How much extra money are you talking about for the wire?

The fence will be about $2200, and the wire adds another $200, so it's
not like it's an outrageous amount of money.

If the neighbor on the other side of the fence has a lab or similar
breed, there will probably be digging ) I have a friend with a 10#
papillon that likes to dig (dog, not friend )

ronm

I keep running into mine with the lawnmower.

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"The DaveŠ" wrote in message

The fence contractor says it's not really necessary unless you have a
dog that digs alot, or other pressures on the fence.

He is right

PanHandler

"The DaveŠ" wrote in message
When getting a 4' chain link fence installed around the yard, and I
have a dog, how necessary is it to get the extra tension wire at the
bottom of the fence?

The fence contractor says it's not really necessary unless you have a
dog that digs alot, or other pressures on the fence. I have a very
mellow basset hound that eats and sleeps, and digging has never been a
problem. The contractor's advice seems reasonable, but would like to
get a second opinion. Thanks.

I never had a problem with diggers, but had a shepard, and after him, a lab
(both about 85 lbs.), and both were able to jump/climb/scramble *over* a 4'
chain link fence.

Rich Greenberg

In article , The DaveŠ wrote:
When getting a 4' chain link fence installed around the yard, and I
have a dog, how necessary is it to get the extra tension wire at the
bottom of the fence?

The fence contractor says it's not really necessary unless you have a
dog that digs alot, or other pressures on the fence. I have a very
mellow basset hound that eats and sleeps, and digging has never been a
problem. The contractor's advice seems reasonable, but would like to
get a second opinion. Thanks.

I would suggest getting it. Todays dog might not be a digger, but what
about the dog you aquire next week?

Shaun Eli

Or if there's a huge rainstorm and a couple of inches of soil washes
away...

zephyr

"The DaveŠ" wrote in message
When getting a 4' chain link fence installed around the yard, and I
have a dog, how necessary is it to get the extra tension wire at the
bottom of the fence?

The fence contractor says it's not really necessary unless you have a
dog that digs alot, or other pressures on the fence. I have a very
mellow basset hound that eats and sleeps, and digging has never been a
problem. The contractor's advice seems reasonable, but would like to
get a second opinion. Thanks.

--
"I ain't evil, I'm just good lookin'..."

I've now put up 3 kennels for my retriever, who is not normally a digger.
he's fine if its nice outside, but when it rains and only when it is raining
does he gets sick of hanging out in the dog house and decides it time to
bust out and find better accommodations.
He's bent gate latches made of steel, jumped lower sections of fence, and
squeezed under fencing that I could not slide a sheet of paper under.
The only thing that I've found to work is a trench of concrete about 3
inches wide & deep running the length of the fence. He knows he can't dig
thru the concrete.
I'd skip the tension wire, as if the dog wants out, he'll dig deep enough
to get under no matter how tight that fence is.
I've also had to concrete under the doors/ gates too as those are the first
places he normally tries to escape.

Dave

Colbyt

"The DaveŠ" wrote in message
When getting a 4' chain link fence installed around the yard, and I
have a dog, how necessary is it to get the extra tension wire at the
bottom of the fence?

The fence contractor says it's not really necessary unless you have a
dog that digs alot, or other pressures on the fence. I have a very
mellow basset hound that eats and sleeps, and digging has never been a
problem. The contractor's advice seems reasonable, but would like to
get a second opinion. Thanks.

--
"I ain't evil, I'm just good lookin'..."

Your contractor is right. I doubt you need it.

But why don't you just ask him if there is any reason the wire can't be
added at a later date if it is needed. You might also ask a ballpark cost
in today's dollars of adding it to an existing fence. Understand that this
price is meaningless 30 days from now.

Colbyt

The DaveŠ

Colbyt wrote:
Your contractor is right. I doubt you need it.

But why don't you just ask him if there is any reason the wire can't
be added at a later date if it is needed. You might also ask a
ballpark cost in today's dollars of adding it to an existing fence.
Understand that this price is meaningless 30 days from now.

That's what I have decided to do. If I need it later, I will get it.
It's not an outrageous amount of money to add it later, if need be.

--
"I ain't evil, I'm just good lookin'..."

Thinking of putting up second fence giga Home Repair 82 August 4th 05 06:02 PM
Fence Question Corinne Home Repair 20 July 6th 05 08:45 PM
Removing Chain-Link Fence and posts EggRaid Home Repair 12 January 12th 05 03:41 AM
Newbie Craftsman table saw question Dale Lorenzen Woodworking 15 August 8th 04 03:26 PM
Jet TS fence query john moorhead Woodworking 8 November 15th 03 03:49 PM