Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
shinypenny

Default Roofer question

We're finally getting our new roof this week. The roofers are doing an
excellent job for a reasonable price (took the middle of three quotes).
We've been impressed with them, as have all the neighbors who've
remarked that they are far better roofers than those they've hired in
the past

.... we were quite happy, until today...

All week long, they have been putting down tarps to collect fallen
shingles and nails, etc, and then doing an impressive, meticulous job
each night cleaning it all up. However, today they didn't put a tarp
down for some reason. They were done removing shingles, but instead
were apparently removing some boards. They threw the boards down to
land on our deck. They also had two ladders sitting on the deck.

After they cleaned up tonight, I noticed that our deck's finish is now
scratched all over - extensively!! Lots of scratches where the ladders
were. Gouges where nails and boards had landed. I'd say 80% of it is
scratched, and the scratches are clear down to the boards.

This is particularly disheartening because we just had it refinished
this summer, and it was a major undertaking, because the first time it
was finished, something happened with the stain that caused bubbling
all over it after a few months. So the stain had to be completely
removed, sanded, etc, before refinishing it. A major pain in the butt,
and time-intensive. DH did the work himself, taking off time from work.

The roofers have one more day's worth of work left. I bit my tongue and
said nothing to them about the deck tonight, because I want to ensure
they return tomorrow and complete the last part of the project and do
it right.

So, what do I do? Do I ask for compensation, assuming they have
insurance for something like this? If so, how much?

jen

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Todd H.

"shinypenny" writes:

So, what do I do? Do I ask for compensation, assuming they have
insurance for something like this? If so, how much?

Yikes. That sucks. Take photos. While their ladders are up
tomorrow if possible. have your supporting documentation.

Have them finish up. Get them off your roof.

When it comes time to settle up, that's when you start the discussion
of the deck. Withhold an amount that it would take you for time
effort and materials to fix the damage, and begin the negotiation
process. Mention to them "what about your insurance company?"

"As you can understand, once I pay you in full, I doubt I'll get your
cooperation in addressing this. So before you get the rest of your
pay, we really need to have a solution to the damage you caused."
Whip out your documentation of the work done on the deck so they know
you're not just making stuff up. Use the words "I'm not trying to be
unreasonable, but clearly there was damage caused here, and I don't
want any more than my deck to be in the condition it was before your
men damaged it."

And go from there. Good luck. They aren't likely to make it easy.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

On 10 Jan 2006 14:52:20 -0800, someone wrote:

So, what do I do? Do I ask for compensation, assuming they have
insurance for something like this? If so, how much?

I believe you misunderstand the nature of insurance.

I probably would not have realized that a deck was considered a fine
finished surface that must be protected, either. It would be
hazardous to put a ladder on cloth over a smooth surface like a deck
as the cloth could slide, upseting the ladder. You can do it on the
ground as the ground is usually softer and the feet of the ladder can
dig in.

Scatched DOWN TO the wood? It would not shock me if when ladders were
pit on my deck, it also scratched the wood. Its a deck.

But if it bothers you, talk to them about putting another coat of
stain on it for you.

Its a DECK - do you walk on it? Do you have furniture on it? I guess
I regard a wood deck as being a bit different from the living room
carpet or the kitchen vinyl or even that smoothly sanded & varnished
hardwood in the bedroom.

Posted to misc.consumers.house
shinypenny

v wrote:

I believe you misunderstand the nature of insurance.

I probably would not have realized that a deck was considered a fine
finished surface that must be protected, either. It would be
hazardous to put a ladder on cloth over a smooth surface like a deck
as the cloth could slide, upseting the ladder.

If that was their primary concern, then why did they use the drop cloth
underneath the ladders for the first three days, but not the fourth day
(when they were throwing down boards not shingles)?

jen

To anyone sick of alt.hvac Matt Morgan Home Repair 87 April 8th 05 05:17 PM
Problem with roofer. Harri Home Ownership 8 January 23rd 05 04:03 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Plumbing Question Jeff UK diy 4 December 1st 03 01:49 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM