Posted to misc.consumers.house
shinypenny

Default Roofer question

We're finally getting our new roof this week. The roofers are doing an
excellent job for a reasonable price (took the middle of three quotes).
We've been impressed with them, as have all the neighbors who've
remarked that they are far better roofers than those they've hired in
the past

.... we were quite happy, until today...

All week long, they have been putting down tarps to collect fallen
shingles and nails, etc, and then doing an impressive, meticulous job
each night cleaning it all up. However, today they didn't put a tarp
down for some reason. They were done removing shingles, but instead
were apparently removing some boards. They threw the boards down to
land on our deck. They also had two ladders sitting on the deck.

After they cleaned up tonight, I noticed that our deck's finish is now
scratched all over - extensively!! Lots of scratches where the ladders
were. Gouges where nails and boards had landed. I'd say 80% of it is
scratched, and the scratches are clear down to the boards.

This is particularly disheartening because we just had it refinished
this summer, and it was a major undertaking, because the first time it
was finished, something happened with the stain that caused bubbling
all over it after a few months. So the stain had to be completely
removed, sanded, etc, before refinishing it. A major pain in the butt,
and time-intensive. DH did the work himself, taking off time from work.

The roofers have one more day's worth of work left. I bit my tongue and
said nothing to them about the deck tonight, because I want to ensure
they return tomorrow and complete the last part of the project and do
it right.

So, what do I do? Do I ask for compensation, assuming they have
insurance for something like this? If so, how much?

jen