Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Light switch sparking problem trips breaker

I had had a problem with a light switch in a walk-in closet. Turning in
on sometime did not work, so had to press it for the light to go on.
Yesterday, when I flipped it on, there was a spark. Now no light. The
light in an adjoining bathroom also went out. The breaker had tripped.
I reset the breaker and all was well for an hour or so.
When I flipped the closet switch on again, a louder spark. Again the
breaker tripped.

So what is the problem here? Could a bad switch do this? Should I just
try replacing the closet switch?
No more load on that circuit than normal.
Thanks
Mark Sabatini

Posted to misc.consumers.house
Bill

The safest thing to do would be to call an electrician and have him check
the light fixture(s) and replace the switch.

Sometimes a ceiling or even wall mounted light fixture will create a *lot*
of heat which will damage the insulation on the wiring behind the fixture,
and this can cause a short circuit.

The circuit breaker is protecting whatever is causing this problem from
causing a fire. (Doing its job.)

I would not turn the breaker back on until an electrician has checked out
the wiring...