Posted to misc.consumers.house
Todd H.

Default Light switch sparking problem trips breaker

writes:
I had had a problem with a light switch in a walk-in closet. Turning in
on sometime did not work, so had to press it for the light to go on.
Yesterday, when I flipped it on, there was a spark. Now no light. The
light in an adjoining bathroom also went out. The breaker had tripped.
I reset the breaker and all was well for an hour or so.
When I flipped the closet switch on again, a louder spark. Again the
breaker tripped.

So what is the problem here?

Sounds like the switch.

Could a bad switch do this? Should I just try replacing the closet
switch?

Yes, that's where you should start. It's very inexpensive to do, and
would eliminate that as a point of failure, or as a safety concern.
You shouldn't hear or see arcing in a properly functioning light
switch. Be sure you have the breaker off when replacing the switch.

Also, if this is a newer home and happens to have GFCI's or AFCI's on
that circuit installed at the breaker box (if it does, you'll probably
notice a test button on the breaker), that might tell you more of a
"why" with the breaker tripping. but in any case, if you're hearing
noise when switching on the light, I'd start with replacing that
switch.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.