Posted to misc.consumers.house
John A. Weeks III

Default Light switch sparking problem trips breaker

In article .com,
wrote:

I had had a problem with a light switch in a walk-in closet. Turning in
on sometime did not work, so had to press it for the light to go on.
Yesterday, when I flipped it on, there was a spark. Now no light. The
light in an adjoining bathroom also went out. The breaker had tripped.
I reset the breaker and all was well for an hour or so.
When I flipped the closet switch on again, a louder spark. Again the
breaker tripped.

So what is the problem here? Could a bad switch do this? Should I just
try replacing the closet switch?
No more load on that circuit than normal.

The hot wire is coming in contact with either the ground
or neutral wire. That causes a very high current draw, which
trips the circuit breaker. If the breaker didn't trip, the
wires would get hot and start your house on fire. If you
repeat this cycle more than a few times, the breaker will
wear out, and your house will burn down. So, stop doing
this, and get it fixed. Either fix it yourself, if you know
how, or get in a professional to do the job. Or let the house
burn down, which also solves the problem.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708

Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com