Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Light switch sparking problem trips breaker

I had had a problem with a light switch in a walk-in closet. Turning in
on sometime did not work, so had to press it for the light to go on.
Yesterday, when I flipped it on, there was a spark. Now no light. The
light in an adjoining bathroom also went out. The breaker had tripped.
I reset the breaker and all was well for an hour or so.
When I flipped the closet switch on again, a louder spark. Again the
breaker tripped.

So what is the problem here? Could a bad switch do this? Should I just
try replacing the closet switch?
No more load on that circuit than normal.
Thanks
Mark Sabatini