Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Trent-Lion

Default AC doesn't cool room

I live in north FL. I have an Amana reverse-cycle window-type unit,
several years old, installed in a wall of a room that is about 400 sq
ft. , normal ceiling height. The AC exits into a large closet in the
garage, with a vent hole in the closet door. There are some windows on
one wall. Sun does not directly hit them. I clean the AC filter
regularly.I turn a ceiling fan on low to circulate the room air
somewhat.

This AC has never cooled the room properly, even on high cool with the
thermostat turned all the way to cold. The air coming out of the AC
vents is what I would call cool, never cold. I just stuck a scientific
thermometer into the vents, and after many minutes it registered 65
degrees.

The installer ran a tube from the AC to a bucket in the garage closet,
into which the AC exits, to catch moisture. I have never seen a drop in
that bucket.

From what I read, an AC of 9,000 to 10,000 btu ought to cool this room.
Unfortunately I cannot conveniently get to the back of the AC to see
the AC size on the plate that may be there, because of junk on the
closet floor, but I remember this AC to be closer to 14,000 btu.

A friend said that when freon leaks out, it all leaks out, so the fact
that my AC is cooling at all suggests that freon is not the problem.

I want a very cool room.

Suggestions appreciated. I am willing to start over with a new unit.
Thx.
T-L
John A. Weeks III

In article ,
Trent-Lion wrote:

I live in north FL. I have an Amana reverse-cycle window-type unit,
several years old, installed in a wall of a room that is about 400 sq
ft. , normal ceiling height. The AC exits into a large closet in the
garage, with a vent hole in the closet door. There are some windows on
one wall. Sun does not directly hit them. I clean the AC filter
regularly.I turn a ceiling fan on low to circulate the room air
somewhat.

Is the A/C unit set to recirculate air from your room, or
does it bring in outside air? I think what is happening is
that you are bringing in outside air, which is from that
closet, and the closet is very warm due to the A/C unit
exhausting heat out there. Try doing recirculate if that
is an option.

If the unit is putting out 65 degree air, the room should
eventually get 65 degrees. If it doesn't, then there is
more than that amount of new heat being allowed to enter
the room. Perhaps it isn't insulated very well. Or the
windows shades are open and the sun comes in.

There are 2-piece A/C units that are built for your
application of having an air cooler in one room, and
the heat pump in another room, but they A/C unit you
have is not designed that way. I am surprised that
someone would have installed it in an interior room.
They just are not built to do that.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

How hot is it in the closet? That is certainly not where an A/C should
be placed to dump heat. If it's very hot in the closet, that will
limit how effective the unit can be. I'd measure the temp of the air
coming out when you first turn the unit on. Wait about 5 mins, then
see how cold the air is coming out. I'll be it's a lot colder. If it
is, then you're problem is the closet. If you can rig a fan in the
closet to move air in/out, that would fix it.

Trent-Lion

Thanks John Weeks & trader4.

The AC has two settings: Exhaust and Closed. I keep it on Closed.

I did not look closely enough at my AC set-up. The closet into which
the back of the AC sticks has a platform on which the AC sits and has a
fairly large screen window (about 2ft by 3ft), at AC level, in the
closet wall that faces the garage. The platform closes off the closet
itself from the space (at the top of the closet) in which the AC sits.
So the part of the closet in which the AC sits gets a good deal of
outside air from the interior of the garage, which has no doors on it.

Room is 400 sq ft. According to dealer I got it from, AC is 9000 btu,
not 14,000 as I remembered. One online formula using sq ft only said
9-10000 btu should do this room. Another one, into which I plugged sq
ft of windows, number of doors, etc., said 18000. This great
difference surprises me.

I guess I just have too small a unit for what I want it to do.

Thx for help.
T-L

In article .com,
wrote:

How hot is it in the closet? That is certainly not where an A/C should
be placed to dump heat. If it's very hot in the closet, that will
limit how effective the unit can be. I'd measure the temp of the air
coming out when you first turn the unit on. Wait about 5 mins, then
see how cold the air is coming out. I'll be it's a lot colder. If it
is, then you're problem is the closet. If you can rig a fan in the
closet to move air in/out, that would fix it.

briz

Get a" mini split" A/C unit or duct your central system into the room.
I live in N Fl. as well. If I can be of further asst. please ask. Steve

SELL this FBI NOC LIST and MAKE MILLIONS like TOM CRUISE did in MISSION IMPOSSIBLE Keith Woodworking 0 October 25th 04 01:45 PM
Adding Room Stat Mark Trueman UK diy 15 October 22nd 04 07:02 PM
Combi Boiler and Room Thermostats Daern's Instant Fortress UK diy 5 May 10th 04 10:23 AM
How to turn 'cold room' in basement to living space? ississauga Home Repair 4 January 29th 04 12:36 AM
Furnace Room Wiring ? Joe Home Repair 1 July 31st 03 07:48 PM