Trent-Lion

Default AC doesn't cool room

I live in north FL. I have an Amana reverse-cycle window-type unit,
several years old, installed in a wall of a room that is about 400 sq
ft. , normal ceiling height. The AC exits into a large closet in the
garage, with a vent hole in the closet door. There are some windows on
one wall. Sun does not directly hit them. I clean the AC filter
regularly.I turn a ceiling fan on low to circulate the room air
somewhat.

This AC has never cooled the room properly, even on high cool with the
thermostat turned all the way to cold. The air coming out of the AC
vents is what I would call cool, never cold. I just stuck a scientific
thermometer into the vents, and after many minutes it registered 65
degrees.

The installer ran a tube from the AC to a bucket in the garage closet,
into which the AC exits, to catch moisture. I have never seen a drop in
that bucket.

From what I read, an AC of 9,000 to 10,000 btu ought to cool this room.
Unfortunately I cannot conveniently get to the back of the AC to see
the AC size on the plate that may be there, because of junk on the
closet floor, but I remember this AC to be closer to 14,000 btu.

A friend said that when freon leaks out, it all leaks out, so the fact
that my AC is cooling at all suggests that freon is not the problem.

I want a very cool room.

Suggestions appreciated. I am willing to start over with a new unit.
Thx.
T-L